Better Bots Technologies

Adds more technologies for roboports and robots, including additional roboports charge pads and expanded bot power cells. Instead of giving them out for free like many other mods, this one strives to blend into the existing game balance.

Content
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.18
Logistic network

i Roboport Sensors and Bobs Logistics

6 years ago

Hello,

As far as I can tell, the Roboport Sensor technology (and other upgrades) don't apply to the higher tier Roboports from Bobs Logistics mod. The MK1 Roboports do benefit from it, but that's probably just because they're still vanilla Roboports with a different name.

Do you think it would be easy to make your mods functionality apply to the higher tier Roboports too?

Kind regards,
peter.

6 years ago

Yes, originally I never planned any compatibility with other mods, mostly because this is my first attempt at coding a Factorio mod so I didn't want to have too many things going on :)

I'll have to look into how bobs mods handle the higher port tier, but I think it should be possible to make my mod compatible with them.

Thanks for the feedback

6 years ago

I don't have any experience with factorio modding or lua development (only Java and some related web-dev stuff), but just for fun I had a quick look at some of the code for your mod and boblogistics, and I reckon it would probably be quite a bit more difficult than I initially imagined to handle everything.
The scanning upgrades might actually be the easiest of the bunch, but I had not expected all the humps you had to jump through with dummy entities for blueprinting and power connections, or the visual offsets for the charging pads etc. That must have been quite a bit of work just for the vanilla roboports. Supporting those 3 extra tiers of Bob's roboports would probably require a bunch of relatively quick but probably annoying-to-maintain copy-pasting, or some tricky generalization (that would ideally be clever enough to not apply, say, the scanning upgrade to his independent robo-chest or charging entities that also happen to have type=roboport).

New response