Aircraft Realism

by haih_ys

Adds mechanics to make vehicles behave as planes. [Takeoff/Landing, Runway Requirement]

Content
4 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

i ✔️ Indicators and anti-realism (arcade) mode

4 years ago

Hello. Thank you for the mod. It adds balance to aircrafts and the helicopter. But I don't want to be over realistic for my games =)
The hardest part is to control speed. Could you please add some speed gauge for the current aircraft? So that it would have marks for takeoff and landing. And I would see: now I am over takeoff speed and can fly over that wall. Or now I am flying too fast to land at that spot. I know I can point mouse at the aircraft and see the speed under the minimap, but it's not convenient.
Also, while I appreciate having a minimum speed to lift, I don't want to build vast lanes for takeoff/landing. Could you add some arcade mode with more acceleration/breaking?

4 years ago

Thanks for post here! I have added options to disable my changes to the acceleration and braking.

As for the gauges, I'll add that on the list of things to do and get back to you when it is added.

4 years ago

hey, hey. I was thinking something similar, and also that the "helicopters" mod -- which adds one helicopter -- would benefit from some of your realism features. It was convenient that jumping out while moving just had it cruise to a halt landed right on deep water a short ways from the shore, but it didn't feel "right."

the reason I mention it right here is that helicopters come with a pair of gauges that show remaining fuel, airspeed, altitude, and engine RPM. (The last is more decorative than useful, but y'know, a nice, and "adds the feel of real" decoration.)

Also also, one or the other mod will move the helicopter behind the aircraft tech, if it is present, so there is already some basis for cooperation.

Plus, if multiple amazing mod authors work together on it, the gaugues might end up, eg, using the new GUI capabilities sooner and being much more "designed for this" like in the game. without me needing to do the work, #lazy :)

4 years ago

You made a good point, I will add some of my features to be compatible with the helicopter mod

As for the gauges, I could reuse the code and gui elements from the helicopter mod for this mod too as it is under the MIT license so I don't need to completely recreate the same gauges again.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I added basic helicopters compatibility with 0.2.2, I only added pollution to it for now since I didn't want to risk breaking the helicopter mod by destroying the helicopter or doing other changes

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

<3 thanks. helicopters do a pretty good job, today, with environmental collisions at low altitude, take-off speed, etc. the "not crashing if you jump out" is, I think, about the only leftover.

4 years ago

Gauges are available with 0.3.0!

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

yay! less experimental guesswork for runway length, because apparently the (lack of) shadows are invisible to me while I'm actually flying a plane into a rock and blowing up!

New response