248k Mod

Advance through 4 stages of tech. Start with simple machines and work your way through nuclear fission and fusion up to black and white holes, in order to tame the 248k Element. This mod is designed to be playable in already existing worlds since it changes nothing on world generation. Can be played as a standalone mod or in overhaul mode.

Overhaul
2 months ago
1.0 - 1.1

i Tesla construction bots should use less energy

1 year, 17 days ago

Construction bots can only place one thing at a time, with the one exception of ground tiles like concrete and landfill. That makes the Tesla bot's increased carrying capacity pointless in most cases.
Tesla bots move 4x as fast, but require 8x the energy. Since the carrying capacity doesn't help, this means they are clearly inferior! You can just have four times the normal ones to build at a similar rate, and consume half the energy doing so, which also means you need half as many roboports/charging stations.

1 year, 17 days ago

The other way to look at it might be: Tesla bots let you spend electricity (plentiful from fusion era) to cut your bot fleet needs by 3/4. Though they do still have a manufacturing cost, yeah.

Faster bots are a bigger deal with a personal roboport bot limit. Maybe a T3 personal roboport would help charge the less efficienct Tesla bots, but I haven't found I've needed one at all. Not sure it'd make a difference.

(Also, the carrying capacity really will help deconstruct assemblers, or belts with items on, or anything else that has an inventory to remove first.)

1 year, 14 days ago

Yeah electricity is cheap once you hit fusion, but they still need to charge. I tried using them for a large construction task and 70% of my fleet was sitting at roboports. I could build charging stations at the roboports to increase charging capacity but at that point what benefit am I getting exactly? Faster response time to building requests, that's all, and building requests are never urgent. The downside is that I have twice as much of a roboport footprint taking up space.
Advanced roboports would take up the same space (assuming they are 3x3 like regular roboports) but their minimum draw is 4MW. That's far too much before fusion, as you need like a hundred roboports for a space science sized base, but if you're at fusion then you already have a giant fleet of construction bots so why bother going through the effort to upgrade?

I have four MK2 personal roboports and those are enough for any blueprint that even fits within my building radius. There is ONE clear advantage to Tesla bots though. If you have a bunch of legs in your spidertron you don't have to stop to let them out-- bots won't leave unless they can go faster than you're currently moving. I wound up simply researching bot speed 10, which is barely enough for basic construction bots to outspeed my spidertron.
On the other hand, tesla bots can't be used for personal construction because of their charging requirements; you can't stick advanced roboports in your power armor, and even if you could you couldn't fit enough power generation in alongside it.

11 months ago

Perhaps this is one of the lessons that maybe big construction tasks aren't as good as many small construction tasks in sequence. Same goes for personal bots, but for different reasons.

Pretty much all I do with personal / spidertron roboports past the fusion stage of the run is just the landfill & rail & powergrid necessary to get the build train in. Tesla bots are great for this.

New response