248k Mod

Advance through 4 stages of tech. Start with simple machines and work your way through nuclear fission and fusion up to black and white holes, in order to tame the 248k Element. This mod is designed to be playable in already existing worlds since it changes nothing on world generation. Can be played as a standalone mod or in overhaul mode.

Overhaul
2 months ago
1.0 - 1.1

i Some suggestions

3 years ago

Ive been enjoying your mod and I have a couple suggestions / bug reports.

Research fusor is incorrectly spelled 'Reasearch fusor' I'd copy-paste your lang_en into some document processor to spell check it. Opening it in mine, I found a couple misspellings.

QOL:
Fluids, Star Engine recipes and Fusion Tech are all easy to confuse. Adding a little icon in the bottom corner of what they 'are' would make them a lot easier to tell apart. Here is some code to do that. You probably already know how to do it but copy-paste code is always appreciated :)
icons = {
{
icon = data.raw.fluid["fu_lithium_6"].icon, icon_size = data.raw.fluid["fu_lithium_6"].icon_size, scale = 32 / data.raw.fluid["fu_lithium_6"].icon_size
},
{
icon = data.raw.item["el_lithium_item"].icon,
icon_size = data.raw.item["el_lithium_item"].icon_size,
scale = 16 / data.raw.item["el_lithium_item"].icon_size,
shift = {10, 10},
},
},
That adds a little lithium icon on the bottom right of the lithium element. Shove it in a recipe (or item too probably).
I would combine all of the item tabs into one or two or reorganize them. I am used to going into the production tab if I want an assembler, intermediate products if I want ore etc. Sorting everything except for the fluids into vanilla tabs and just having one tab for the fluids would make it easier to find stuff (at least for me).
Adding 'hide_from_player_crafting = true,' to a recipe makes it only show up in machines that can make it. Adding it to all the Star Engine recipes would make the tab only show up in the Star Engine's UI.

Star Engine:
For something that makes free resources, the Star Engine is surprisingly well balanced. (In reference to K2)
Change the stack size of the Star Engine parts to 1. There is no reason to have them go up to 200 and a machine that isn't limited can drain a lot of resources making them.
(Krastorio 2) It is slightly more efficient to produce U-238 in the Star Engine and convert it into matter than to produce matter directly. (26 -> 1 vs 19.5 -> 1) You could argue that the the extra step justifies this though. In the same way, it is more efficient to get matter from the Star Engine and use a matter assembler to turn it into iron ore and smelt it than to get iron directly. That is being pretty picky though.
Why can the Star Engine create lithium but not lead or aluminum?

Balance:
I haven't done a full playthrough with the mod yet, just added it into a megabase so take these with a grain of salt.

Unless I am missing an easier way to get deep space ore, adding 40 stacks of both combined matter to the Krastorio 2 singularity reactor is a enormous jump in cost. Two Krastorio 2 fusion reactors put out the same amount of power, are much cheaper and available earlier on.
Balance seems to be a smooth curve only to go off the deep end at the end. The Star Engine seems well balanced for its high cost to build and low resource output in exchange for free stuff. And then suddenly you get god trains and a super broken module. If the trains burned structured exotic matter for fuel or the module just worked like normal productivity they would be reasonable.
I'm not sure how hard to get fusion tech is supposed to be but with heavy water from Krastorio 2 it becomes basically free.

3 years ago

Ive been enjoying your mod and I have a couple suggestions / bug reports.

Research fusor is incorrectly spelled 'Reasearch fusor' I'd copy-paste your lang_en into some document processor to spell check it. Opening it in mine, I found a couple misspellings.

QOL:
Fluids, Star Engine recipes and Fusion Tech are all easy to confuse. Adding a little icon in the bottom corner of what they 'are' would make them a lot easier to tell apart. Here is some code to do that. You probably already know how to do it but copy-paste code is always appreciated :)
icons = {
{
icon = data.raw.fluid["fu_lithium_6"].icon, icon_size = data.raw.fluid["fu_lithium_6"].icon_size, scale = 32 / data.raw.fluid["fu_lithium_6"].icon_size
},
{
scale = 16 / data.raw.item["el_lithium_item"].icon_size,
shift = {10, 10},
},
},
That adds a little lithium icon on the bottom right of the lithium element. Shove it in a recipe (or item too probably).
I would combine all of the item tabs into one or two or reorganize them. I am used to going into the production tab if I want an assembler, intermediate products if I want ore etc. Sorting everything except for the fluids into vanilla tabs and just having one tab for the fluids would make it easier to find stuff (at least for me).
Adding 'hide_from_player_crafting = true,' to a recipe makes it only show up in machines that can make it. Adding it to all the Star Engine recipes would make the tab only show up in the Star Engine's UI.

Star Engine:
For something that makes free resources, the Star Engine is surprisingly well balanced. (In reference to K2)
Change the stack size of the Star Engine parts to 1. There is no reason to have them go up to 200 and a machine that isn't limited can drain a lot of resources making them.
(Krastorio 2) It is slightly more efficient to produce U-238 in the Star Engine and convert it into matter than to produce matter directly. (26 -> 1 vs 19.5 -> 1) You could argue that the the extra step justifies this though. In the same way, it is more efficient to get matter from the Star Engine and use a matter assembler to turn it into iron ore and smelt it than to get iron directly. That is being pretty picky though.
Why can the Star Engine create lithium but not lead or aluminum?

Balance:
I haven't done a full playthrough with the mod yet, just added it into a megabase so take these with a grain of salt.

Unless I am missing an easier way to get deep space ore, adding 40 stacks of both combined matter to the Krastorio 2 singularity reactor is a enormous jump in cost. Two Krastorio 2 fusion reactors put out the same amount of power, are much cheaper and available earlier on.
Balance seems to be a smooth curve only to go off the deep end at the end. The Star Engine seems well balanced for its high cost to build and low resource output in exchange for free stuff. And then suddenly you get god trains and a super broken module. If the trains burned structured exotic matter for fuel or the module just worked like normal productivity they would be reasonable.
I'm not sure how hard to get fusion tech is supposed to be but with heavy water from Krastorio 2 it becomes basically free.

First i really have to thank you for your feedback.
Lang file will get some love soon :D

Im not really getting where you want to put those icons - but the idea seems good.
Cuz i basically know the mod in and out never though of somewhat like that.

Balance in the Lategame is a thing yea - I thought these God modules would be balanced enough doe to thier insane cost but indeed the spike a bit to much in the balnce chart.
I really like the trains, no consumtion, high speed, but they will get a bit of a rework.
I thought of making some kind of prototype god train which the player has to complete/build... before getting the op one.

What do you think of the new KI cores?

3 years ago

I would put the icons in the recipes that have one of the element fluids as an icon. For example in prototypes/fu_recipes you could add the code used above in fu_lithium_6_recipe like:
{
name = 'fu_lithium_6_recipe',
type = 'recipe',
category = 'chemistry',
enabled = 'false',
--hide_from_player_crafting = true, --I added this as an example for the recipe hiding I mentioned before. It has nothing to do with the icons.
ingredients = {
{type="item", name="fi_crushed_lithium_item", amount=1},
},
results = {
{type="fluid", name="fu_lithium_6", amount=1},
},
result_count = 1,
energy_required = 1,
icons = { --add the sub icon
{
},
{
shift = {10, 10},
scale = 0.5 * 32 / data.raw.item["el_lithium_item"].icon_size,
},
},
},

I don't know how to link an screenshot of what this looks like so you will have to try it yourself.

As for the trains, reducing their top speed a lot and giving them crazy acceleration would probably be more useful than a high top speed - you can always add more trains for long distance throughput but high acceleration would make them very useful in areas with a lot of trains. (I am very far from a big train guy so you should probably get a second opinion on this)

I haven't messed with the KI cores enough to have an opinion on them yet.

3 years ago

I would put the icons in the recipes that have one of the element fluids as an icon. For example in prototypes/fu_recipes you could add the code used above in fu_lithium_6_recipe like:
{
name = 'fu_lithium_6_recipe',
type = 'recipe',
category = 'chemistry',
enabled = 'false',
--hide_from_player_crafting = true, --I added this as an example for the recipe hiding I mentioned before. It has nothing to do with the icons.
ingredients = {
{type="item", name="fi_crushed_lithium_item", amount=1},
},
results = {
{type="fluid", name="fu_lithium_6", amount=1},
},
result_count = 1,
energy_required = 1,
icons = { --add the sub icon
{
},
{
shift = {10, 10},
scale = 0.5 * 32 / data.raw.item["el_lithium_item"].icon_size,
},
},
},

I don't know how to link an screenshot of what this looks like so you will have to try it yourself.

As for the trains, reducing their top speed a lot and giving them crazy acceleration would probably be more useful than a high top speed - you can always add more trains for long distance throughput but high acceleration would make them very useful in areas with a lot of trains. (I am very far from a big train guy so you should probably get a second opinion on this)

I haven't messed with the KI cores enough to have an opinion on them yet.

ok i get what u mean - why not ill add those icons.

As said train will get a rework so all in all will take some time - eventhough i feel like the acceleration ist already pretty high.

3 years ago

Thoughts on the KI core now that I have had a short time to play with them:
The idea is pretty neat but the implementation seems a pretty complicated. Not being able to copy-paste beacons makes them a lot less useful. The radii of the beacons feels too large. The transmission radius and small size of the KI1 beacon makes it very good for wrapping multiple rows of beacons around one machine. But no matter how powerful it is, it is ultimately useless because of how much UPS it consumes. With just 7 KI1 beacons, 248k went from less than 0.05 ms of update time to 0.3ms. That performance would be crippling on a large scale. I'm no modder, but I'll try to make a stab at some possible solutions.

Looking at your events, you run them every 30 ticks but use a counter to do so. I think that on_nth_tick(event) should let you fire everything on a set interval without the need to do the counting yourself. It probably won't have much impact but it may reduce that 0.05ms with no beacons.
https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/LuaBootstrap.html#LuaBootstrap.on_nth_tick

In 1.1 a linked-container prototype was added which seems to let multiple things share an inventory. You may be able to make the KI beacons use that to all share module inventories. Add a GUI to the beacons to let the player pick a channel and you will be able to get rid of the linking items. Just increase the efficiency of the higher tiered beacons to get the same effect as having more modules.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/LinkedContainer

3 years ago

Thoughts on the KI core now that I have had a short time to play with them:
The idea is pretty neat but the implementation seems a pretty complicated. Not being able to copy-paste beacons makes them a lot less useful. The radii of the beacons feels too large. The transmission radius and small size of the KI1 beacon makes it very good for wrapping multiple rows of beacons around one machine. But no matter how powerful it is, it is ultimately useless because of how much UPS it consumes. With just 7 KI1 beacons, 248k went from less than 0.05 ms of update time to 0.3ms. That performance would be crippling on a large scale. I'm no modder, but I'll try to make a stab at some possible solutions.

Looking at your events, you run them every 30 ticks but use a counter to do so. I think that on_nth_tick(event) should let you fire everything on a set interval without the need to do the counting yourself. It probably won't have much impact but it may reduce that 0.05ms with no beacons.
https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/LuaBootstrap.html#LuaBootstrap.on_nth_tick

In 1.1 a linked-container prototype was added which seems to let multiple things share an inventory. You may be able to make the KI beacons use that to all share module inventories. Add a GUI to the beacons to let the player pick a channel and you will be able to get rid of the linking items. Just increase the efficiency of the higher tiered beacons to get the same effect as having more modules.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/LinkedContainer

will be thinking about that, ty

the ups consume shouldnt scale that much but ill think about it anyways

3 years ago

I shall leave feedback here too,
First of all this mod has many interesting and innovative ideas, the beacon technologies probably comes first in that regard.
I really like the concept of the mod, however i couldnt get myself to play past the nuclear stage since that is when i learned that the OP KI core 1 beacons coulnt be blueprinted and require HARD MANUAL LABOR WHICH CANNOT BE AUTOMATED both in placing and setting them up with linking modules which really is the biggest drawback of this mod so far, since the stage when you want to use beacons is when you want to ramp up production the first time, or in generall, which is when you can build outposts with robots...
Furthermore the k1 beacon is way overpowered in my opinion, since it uses less than half the area of the normal vanilla beacon, can therefor be build in 2 rows and DOESNT REQUIRE ANY ENERGY WHATSOEVER which should defenetly be changed in my opinion since that is the scalable part of the beacon setup and the one you want to expand alot upon.

Another thing that i fear (from my darkstar utils trauma) is that your assemblers cant handle fluids, which does not look like a huge drawback, but when you think about it, you need processors (this is my main point of concern, i havent played that far yet) which you had to assembel in normal assemblers, thus making precessor outposts far bigger than the other non fluid recepies, focusing the fluid part of the game heavily (mainly processors tho)

sidenote: levitation doesnt make things have less mass, just less weight

all in all a mod with great potential (and holy sh^t the sprites have improved alot) but its not quite there yet imo

with the best of wishes and encouragement to create more mods, Mathias

3 years ago

I shall leave feedback here too,
First of all this mod has many interesting and innovative ideas, the beacon technologies probably comes first in that regard.
I really like the concept of the mod, however i couldnt get myself to play past the nuclear stage since that is when i learned that the OP KI core 1 beacons coulnt be blueprinted and require HARD MANUAL LABOR WHICH CANNOT BE AUTOMATED both in placing and setting them up with linking modules which really is the biggest drawback of this mod so far, since the stage when you want to use beacons is when you want to ramp up production the first time, or in generall, which is when you can build outposts with robots...
Furthermore the k1 beacon is way overpowered in my opinion, since it uses less than half the area of the normal vanilla beacon, can therefor be build in 2 rows and DOESNT REQUIRE ANY ENERGY WHATSOEVER which should defenetly be changed in my opinion since that is the scalable part of the beacon setup and the one you want to expand alot upon.

Another thing that i fear (from my darkstar utils trauma) is that your assemblers cant handle fluids, which does not look like a huge drawback, but when you think about it, you need processors (this is my main point of concern, i havent played that far yet) which you had to assembel in normal assemblers, thus making precessor outposts far bigger than the other non fluid recepies, focusing the fluid part of the game heavily (mainly processors tho)

sidenote: levitation doesnt make things have less mass, just less weight

all in all a mod with great potential (and holy sh^t the sprites have improved alot) but its not quite there yet imo

with the best of wishes and encouragement to create more mods, Mathias

Ty for your feedback - ill tackle some of that in the next few version of this mod. Will take some time though due to not having much time right now - anyways im always thankfull for such replies, regarding my work. KI core will get a rework regarding scripting such that blueprinting is possible, stats will be rebalanced and performance will get better.

The old sprites were quite painfull to watch so that had to be done, eventhough some still need some adjustments, im glad someone finally noticed :D
what do you think of the style of the "new" sprites, are they fitting in factorio/modded factiorio.
UMR for example is very sci fi but i like it - wonder how other people think about it.

anyways thank you for that bit of feedback!

3 years ago

Hello,
yes i like them more, they are more the style of k2 which is not bad for the endgame, but for the earlygame they look a bit to simple for the power they provide.
Its hard to put the thoughts into words so fell free to message or call me on discord if you want a second opinion or discuss the matters (since im also more active there ... ) YoLord#7378

makes me happy seeing you care for the mod :)

3 years ago

Hello,
yes i like them more, they are more the style of k2 which is not bad for the endgame, but for the earlygame they look a bit to simple for the power they provide.
Its hard to put the thoughts into words so fell free to message or call me on discord if you want a second opinion or discuss the matters (since im also more active there ... ) YoLord#7378

makes me happy seeing you care for the mod :)

Discord:

New response