Animated wind turbines that turn into wind direction

Content
4 years ago
0.17 - 0.18
Power

i They rotate with the wind?!

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

That's awesome! One of the first applications I see of wind in the first place but it even rotates to it and doesn't just dream up a direction, nice!

But all this had me thinking.... Why don't solar panels rotate to the sun? We're losing energy to ramp up times and lose resources to make more accumulators but in real-life there are solar panels that can rotate to the sun, decreasing the time it takes accumulators recharge.

Yea, I know this is a bit unrelated, but I couldn't find a mod that does that and your mod gave me the idea of rotating solar panels, so the honor is all yours. ;)

1. Maybe a Rotator should be a module so it can be made compatible with other mods/modmakers that wish it and then be plomped down on existing buildings (like air purifiers / solar panels / other buildings) to upgrade them to rotating to conditions (like sun/wind/smog).

2. Maybe it could be an intermediate item in the production chain to make rotating versions of a building. Players could then hook up the building to rotate to different pipes/belts to produce different items. (which in turn opens up smaller factories for the Tiny Factory reddit hall of fame)

3. Maybe the Rotator or the wind turbine itself could have a circuit network input so it can tell where the wind is coming from for player feedback purposes, this in turn opens up a way for players to log where wind came from, which in turn opens up a crude prediction model. Players can then set up networks themselves that shows on maps where wind is going now. So much possibilities if the turbines could talk to the circuit network. But this is all redundant if wind direction is globally defined instead of per chunk.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

i'd download it ;)
but its not as game changing that i feel the need to create the mod myself, sorry..
i used https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/sprite-management/sprite-baking-studio-3d-to-2d-31247 for my spritesheets but i guess thats overkill for something that's not animated.

but i have a cool update planned for this mod soon, if my idea works without too many glitches

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Good luck with that update, I hope it works out.
I'm loving the wind turbines so far, they supplement my base fine.

My suggestion was just a brain fart but it felt a bit related to this at the time.

I still got a question by the way, why do the mk2 and mk3 turbines need 3 of the previous? I feel that's a bit overkill, but you probably had a reason for it I presume? Like space to power ratio or something?

-edit:
Another thingy, the energy bar never shows activity, is this just a game engine limitation and this can't show how much energy it generates? Or should it and is it a bug? Or am I doing something wrong? Or just looking at the wrong moment?

for reference, it's on the right hand side, labeled "Energy": https://i.imgur.com/KfFDxdH.png

4 years ago

yeah the update worked out fine, i already published it
they are so expensive to make up for the fact that you can build solar panels in between, i got that idea from other mods that handle it similary for their mk2 and higher tiers
I didn't notice that the energy bar was empty, guess it only fills up when the power of the turbine isn't entirely used. The turbines always produce power. you can see the current power production under "power output"

New response