Weapon Bandoleer

Adds additional weapon slots via a bandoleer item. Useful for mods that add lots of weapons to the game.

Content
11 months ago
Combat

b Incompatible with Space Exploration

1 year, 5 months ago
(updated 1 year, 5 months ago)

Hello,

im playing with Space Exploration and wanted this mod since it adds quite a few additional unique weapons. When im activating your mod i get the following error in main menu:

Error while running event level::on_configuration_changed
--space-exploration__/scripts/essential.lua:43: Items that can contain inventories are not supported by Space Exploration. Please disable the mod that added this item: weapon bandoleer
stack traceback:
[C]: in funciton 'error'
space-exploration/scripts/essential.lua:43: in function 'detect_breaking_prototypes'
space-exploration/control.lua:2008: in function 'callback'
space-exploration/scripts/event.lua:15: in function 'sequence'
space-exploration/scripts/event.lua:49: in function 'trigger'
space-exploration/scripts/event.lua:55: in function 'on_configuration_changed'
core/lualib/event_handler.lua:87: in function <core/lualib/event_handler.lua:84>

the things written fat have two _ at the front and the end*

1 year, 5 months ago

That is unfortunate. I'll try and get in contact with the developer of SE.

1 year, 4 months ago

While we wait for official support, I have added instructions to the mod for altering Space Exploration's code to force compatibility.

To bypass Space Exploration's ban on "item-with-inventory" prototypes, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to your Factorio mods folder
  2. Unzip "space-exploration_x.x.x.zip"
  3. Navigate to "space-exploration\scripts"
  4. Open "essential.lua" in a text editor of your choice
  5. Delete line 43:

41| if prototype.type == "item-with-inventory" then
    42| if not (prototype.name == "item-with-inventory" and prototype.inventory_size == 0) then
    43| error("Items that can contain inventories are not supported by Space Exploration. Please disable the mod that added this item: " .. prototype.name)
    44| end
    45| end

6. Save "essential.lua"

7. Re-zip "space-exploration_x.x.x.zip", replacing the original
  8. Make sure the mod's file structure still looks like "space-exploration_x.x.x.zip\space-exploration\<all-the-mods-files>"

You will have to do this every time you install or update Space Exploration.

1 year, 4 months ago

Good news, Weapon Bandoleer is now natively supported by Space Exploration!

1 year, 3 months ago

It can be used now, but if i want to change the surface via cargo rocket i can not launch the rocket. In the console a message appears, telling me that the weapon bandoleer can not be transported between surfaces

1 year, 3 months ago

Yeah, that's a Space Exploration feature. You will need to leave the bandoleer behind and craft a new one on arrival. Sorry.

1 year, 3 months ago

Ok.

Something else, there was also a non recoverable error when i was pressing the shortcut for switching to previous weapon BEFORE i crafted the first bandoleer. After crafting it this error dissappeared

1 year, 3 months ago

Yeah, sounds like the same issue reported in this discussion

I was never able to diagnose the issue, (I went as far as to install every single mod they had to test it), so I just recommend unbinding the select previous weapon control.

1 year, 3 months ago

Unbinding was actually the first thing i tried, it had no effect to the issue and kept crashing the game when beeing pushed

7 months ago

It can be used now, but if i want to change the surface via cargo rocket i can not launch the rocket. In the console a message appears, telling me that the weapon bandoleer can not be transported between surfaces

"Natively supported by Space Exploration" doesn't look to be the case at all.

When someone says a mod is "natively supported" by their mod, I interpret that as "it works like you'd expect it to work".
Having "native support" that makes it so you very specifically can't use the thing in any useful way (given how frequently you are traveling by cargo rocket between surfaces) isn't at all what I think of when I think of "Native Support".
It IS what I think of when I think of "Incompatibility that someone's either not interested in de-conflicting, incapable of such, or stubbornly refuses to do so".

Given that, I think it would be far better for all involved (and avoid a heap of confusion) if Weapon Bandoleer and/or Space Exploration were simply marked as incompatible with each other until such time as the mod authors can see eye-to-eye on how to make them compatible (as in they both function as expected, specifically without the restriction that prevents a player from traveling between surfaces on a cargo rocket when they have a Weapon Bandoleer in their inventory.

IDK what the problem is here, but that right there is why this mod isn't more popular than it is. It really should be more popular of a mod, it adds needed functionality. But when a big mod like Space Exploration (which adds many new and interesting ways to kill biters) claims "compatibility" while out-and-out breaking this mod, I find a reason to get frustrated enough to post about it here.

All I wanted was extra weapon slots so that I can have quick access to the grapple gun along with the other weapons I find myself frequently using in Factorio (SMG, Rocket launcher, Flamethrower, and with SE, the Railgun, Bio Gun, Cryo Gun, and Tesla Gun).
Weapon Bandoleer seems to solve that issue very nicely... until you go to move between surfaces.
I installed this mod very specifically so that I could set up the bandoleer once, and then continue playing as if I just had "more weapon slots".
Is it impossible to expand the number of the player's weapon slots in the lower-left GUI, without requiring an item in your inventory?
I do think this item doesn't make much sense to be placed in the inventory. Instead, I think it belongs in the equipment grid of the player's armor.
After all, a weapon bandolier (proper spelling) is often worn over one shoulder and across the chest.
Maybe make a version 2 of this mod that's called "Tactical Rig" and is based on putting something in the equipment grid of the armor instead of an item in the player's inventory. IDK if that's possible in coding or not, but it SHOULD remove the issue Space Exploration has when it says "No item-with-inventory transport between surfaces (which seems like obsinate refusal, despite well-mannered advances IMO)".

New response