Cannon Turret

by VortiK

Adds a cannon mounted turret and specific cannon shell magazine ammunition that behave like the tank shells without friendly fire colliding. Bonus technology to make all walls and gates resistant to explosions to better works with the cannon turret.

Content
2 years ago
0.15 - 1.1
Combat

g Make the cannon aim at the ground underneath enemies instead of overshooting

4 years ago

Great mod but its annoying when you're using explosive ammo and the turret "overshoots" the intended target.
The shell instakills the intended target, keeps on flying till it reaches the maximum range and then detonates on the ground. So instead of killing 10+ biters with the explosion it kill 1 biter and explodes far behind the biters.

It'd be great if you could make the turret aim at the ground below the intended target, so that the shell detonates where the biter was standing and killing the rest of them.

Thanks for the wonderful mod, the art fits really well with the rest of the game :D

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback, that's actually a very good point and now you're bringing it up I can totally see it from experience.

Actually the cannon shell were targeting the ground before the non friendly fire collision feature. I then reverted it to the normal shell behavior that collides with ennemies and but targets a direction and not the ground anymore.

It should be possible the have the best of both world I'll check it out thanks.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

After some poking, I'm not so sure it is necessarly better to have shells explode on their target position. As turrets will always target the closed ennemy, which will often die very quickly to concentrated fire the shell is kinda wasted if it explode directly on already dead or mostly dead ennemies when it could continue on its direction, pierce some weaker enemies before finally exploding potentially in the rest of the coming group (or effectively otherwise at its maximum range).

The feeling of "missing" damage from not exploding earlier might be a false impression in situation where the cannon are overkilling the ennemies anyway or they are not numerous enought. In a grouped scenario most shells should encounter ennemies.

I guess in a way it kinda balances the cannon turret as it is very powerfull, but not adapted in all situations. It's expensive and it really shines in crowded shokepoints ! This leaves room for other turrets to have a role in the defense perimeter and makes the player think strategically where to position expensive cannon turrets to make then a good investement and be an effective defense addition.

Another solution could be the increase the shells hitbox so they would have more chance to collide.

4 years ago

Increasing the hitbox of the shell might be a good middlepoint, against spitters (which i assume its meant to be used against based on its long range) it just kills one spitter and misses the rest. Increasing the shell "size" might solve it

4 years ago

Hello CybranM,

Sorry for the late response, I've actually made a prototype version with a doubled projectile size. I couldn't test it extensively enought to confirms it plays better. Maybe you would have some time to test it yourself ?

Here's a preview of the mod you can just drop in your factorio mod folder to test : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta8jirbryq2eyjg/vtk-cannon-turret_1.8.0.zip?dl=0

Thanks for your feedback !

New response