Turbines ++

Tired of big nuclear turbine setups? This mod adds new turbines and usage for super/extreme heated steam. With the full setup you will get up to 112.5 MW of power out of 100 MW heat.

Content
2 years ago
Power

g These turbine rations are all over the place

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

These turbines have super wacky ratios.

(formula for calculating total joules is [units consumed]x[temperature]x[joules per °C])

Regular torque turbine consumes 60x750x1000 Joules per second, which is 45MJ per second. However, its max output is only 20MW (20MJ per second). This is an efficiency of less than 50%.

Extreme torque turbine consumes 60x900x1000 Joules per second, which is 54MJ per second. However, its max output is only 30MW (30MJ per second).
This is slightly more than 50% efficient, but that's not really an accomplishment.

This means that either these turbines are wasting a massive amount of energy, or it would be much better to tweak the ratios of torque production, consumption, and energy per °C, to have them match and feel satisfying.

Furthermore:

Laplace consumes 240x500x200 Joules worth of steam per second, which is 24MJ per second. Yet its max output is 40MW. This is extremely extremely efficient, almost to the point of being ridiculous.

On the other hand Carnot consumes 660x900x200 Joules worth of steam per second, which is a whopping 118.8 MJ per second. Yet its max output is 80MW. Again very inefficient.

As things stand, there is no reason EVER to use any of the mod's mechanics other than the incredibly busted Laplace steam turbine. No need to mess with the torque stuff as it's more hassle than it's worth. Just slap down a bunch of laplace turbines on vanilla heat exchangers and everything else is obsolete.

I'll be writing my own personal patch to make things more satisfying to use in the meantime.

2 years ago

These turbines have super wacky ratios.

(formula for calculating total joules is [units consumed]x[temperature]x[joules per °C])

Regular torque turbine consumes 60x750x1000 Joules per second, which is 45MJ per second. However, its max output is only 20MW (20MJ per second). This is an efficiency of less than 50%.

Extreme torque turbine consumes 60x900x1000 Joules per second, which is 54MJ per second. However, its max output is only 30MW (30MJ per second).
This is slightly more than 50% efficient, but that's not really an accomplishment.

This means that either these turbines are wasting a massive amount of energy, or it would be much better to tweak the ratios of torque production, consumption, and energy per °C, to have them match and feel satisfying.

Furthermore:

Laplace consumes 240x500x200 Joules worth of steam per second, which is 24MJ per second. Yet its max output is 40MW. This is extremely extremely efficient, almost to the point of being ridiculous.

On the other hand Carnot consumes 660x900x200 Joules worth of steam per second, which is a whopping 118.8 MJ per second. Yet its max output is 80MW. Again very inefficient.

As things stand, there is no reason EVER to use any of the mod's mechanics other than the incredibly busted Laplace steam turbine. No need to mess with the torque stuff as it's more hassle than it's worth. Just slap down a bunch of laplace turbines on vanilla heat exchangers and everything else is obsolete.

I'll be writing my own personal patch to make things more satisfying to use in the meantime.

u could also make a git repo and ill add it into the main mod- currently i have very little time to work with.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Thanks for allowing this!

Currently I have written a personal (private) tweaking patch using the simple data.raw functions. The ratios of steam turbines have been tweaked to produce as much power as the fluid they take in, but the two 'Steam Conversion' recipes have a net gain of energy, nothing crazy but still worth doing. (I made it so it takes in 1000 steam and produces 400/200 units of torque and 600/800 units of lower temperature steam).

The tweaks are matched with Krastorio 2 steam energy values, however. I will calculate a separate set of tweaks that is compatible with vanilla, then test those.

When that is done, I will see how github works. I'm not entirely sure how you'd like it; do I upload your original mod and do a merge request for you to approve? Or do I upload a version of your mod with the tweaks already implemented?

There are plenty of other ideas that I was having for myself, such as having the 2 torque fluids actually be one kind of fluid with varying temperatures, or implementing mod settings that can adjust the energy gain of the steam conversion. However, I do not want to overstep my boundaries and am more than happy to keep such things private. (or as a separate tweaking mod).

PS: I love the concept of the mod, that's why I wanted to give some feedback. I apologise if I slightly sounded like I wasn't appreciating what you've done!

2 years ago

Currently I have written a personal (private) tweaking patch using the simple data.raw functions. The ratios of steam turbines have been tweaked to produce as much power as the fluid they take in, but the two 'Steam Conversion' recipes have a net gain of energy, nothing crazy but still worth doing. (I made it so it takes in 1000 steam and produces 400/200 units of torque and 600/800 units of lower temperature steam).

The tweaks are matched with Krastorio 2 steam energy values, however. I will calculate a separate set of tweaks that is compatible with vanilla, then test those.

When that is done, I will see how github works. I'm not entirely sure how you'd like it; do I upload your original mod and do a merge request for you to approve? Or do I upload a version of your mod with the tweaks already implemented?

There are plenty of other ideas that I was having for myself, such as having the 2 torque fluids actually be one kind of fluid with varying temperatures, or implementing mod settings that can adjust the energy gain of the steam conversion. However, I do not want to overstep my boundaries and am more than happy to keep such things private. (or as a separate tweaking mod).

PS: I love the concept of the mod, that's why I wanted to give some feedback. I apologise if I slightly sounded like I wasn't appreciating what you've done!

No need to apologize ^^

You can send me a pm on discord should make things a bit easier - either way u could make a git repo and ill merge it or you send me the modified files on discord

1 year, 10 months ago

Owen can you provide a link to the patch work you've done?

Ive been trying to play with this mod and its down right confusing not to mention trying to figure out what actually works is a hassle I was about to remove the mod but if you've made it work with some decent accuracy in terms of efficiency and getting out what you put into it I might just keep it

1 year, 7 months ago

Would love for this mode to get its balance right ^_^

New response