trainsaver

trainsaver creates a dynamic screensaver which follows trains as they drive around from station to station.

Utilities
6 months ago
Trains

b βœ… -> Character Gets Dissociated

3 years ago

I really enjoy this mod, but twice I've encountered an issue where my character becomes dissociated with the player. In both cases, I was letting the factory run overnight - so it appears to occur after it's been in screensaver mode for more than an hour or so. FWIW, today I was able to create a new character and reassociate using the console to avoid losing progress.

On a related note, setting AFK to 0 to prevent the screensaver from automatically activating does not seem to work. If I change it to 0, it resets to a positive number as soon as I leave the settings screen. For now, I've had to disable the mod.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Hello, thanks for the report. I'm sorry your character was dissociated- I will look into how that could have happened. In the meantime, did you have any other mods installed? If possible, could you tell me a bit more about what happened? Was your character removed completely, or was it just unassociated from your player?
As for the AFK setting, I believe your issue may have something to do with how factorio itself saves and displays the settings. Make sure you exit the menu completely (until you're back in the game and can open inventory, etc.) after setting the AFK time to 0. It's a known minor issue that changes you make in settings aren't displayed in single player until the game simulation starts again (since the game is paused when you open the menu) - see https://forums.factorio.com/78051

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

This is a big single player K2 map (10K spm) with quite a few mods installed (including LTN). I don't have anything else that should be affecting the character (i.e. no teleporting mods, god mods, invulnerability, etc.). One exception might be jetpack, but my character was on the ground when this happened.

When I exited the screensaver, control resumed at a random stop (not where my character was when the SS started). I was in something like god mode. I had no character associated with the player (confirmed with LUA). I could move and open interact, but I had no inventory ('E' did nothing). I confirmed that my original character was back where the SS started with all inventory, etc.

Thanks for the pointer on the AFK setting. I'll double check that it is indeed not getting set.

3 years ago

Thanks for that extra info. I've unfortunately not been able to reproduce the bug. I suspected it may have something to do with the jetpack mod since it creates and destroys the character when you take-off/land, but everything seems to work as expected both while flying and on the ground. I'm curious if this issue has persisted for you, and if you have steps to reproduce it consistently?

If you want you could send me a save file or mod list and I'll look into it further. For now I assume some other mod was doing something with the character or stashed_controller or something, because trainsaver doesn't touch the character at all, it just puts you in and out of the cutscene controller :)

New response