Train construction site

A nice, automated way of creating trains

Content
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Trains

i [In future] Compatibility with LTN & [Not possible] Equipment Grids

4 years ago

Interesting mod. I absolutely love the idea. But I have a question. I saw in the information tab that this mode uses a depot system. How does it mesh with LTN which uses Depots too? Can I use the same ones?

As for the request… As you probably know, there are mods that add equipment grids to vehicle. Would it be possible (and would you be willing to implement it) to also automate filling the equipment grid?

4 years ago

I thought about equipment grids, but i can't change recipes on the fly (this is imposible), and all the custom equipment grids it would be though to get it filled up in the same way (not imposible). So I don't realy have a good way of requiring X amount of equipment Y to add to the recipe ingredients.

The LTN depot is another train stop entity, but surely I'll work something out, we where already talking about LTN compatibility.

4 years ago

Somehow, I totally forgot to answer and kept that mod in my list without activating it.

Kind of expected it for the equipment grids, but it's good to know that it's possible to some extent. Kind of a shame that you can't simply request these like you'd request modules or fuel on newly placed structures/trains.

As for LTN… Maybe I should have tried the mod before actually asking. Anyway. Since these are different train stop entities, I can actually use both mods at once, right? There is just no interaction between them?

Placing trains through blueprints was starting to feel silly somehow.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

They are indeed different train stops. You can have this mod create new trains and send them to the depot to sit there. From there you can manualy send them to the LTN depot when you're in need of more trains. My mod replaces the part where you manualy place or blueprint new trains.

However, I will work on compatibility once I get the mod stable in its current form.

4 years ago

Okay, great. That's exactly what I wanted actually.

Thank you for your answer and your work on this mod!

4 years ago

+1

4 years ago

+∞

4 years ago

I did not forget about this. I am still working on getting all mods to work on 0.18.. (including angels mods). Keep in mind that I am also a full time (university) student during the day XD

4 years ago

I didn't mean for it to taken as a demand I am just supporting the like for the idea

3 years ago

+1

It would really be nice if it was possible to make trains automatically when LTN needs it.

3 years ago

+1

same here :)
after the mod works in Brqave new World :D

3 years ago

+1

3 years ago

alright alright... I think I brewed up some idea on allowing LTN depos to work as TCS depos... The idea is as follows:

When you open a LTN depot, an additional UI with a toggle button "Allow as TCS depot"
If you enable it, it will get registered, at which point you get the configure options as before: increase/decrease request.

However, a few limitations I might add... I will leave the original UI, so you can still interact with the train stop to read out/send signals to trains... Maybe at the future I could work at integrating all of this in my custom LTN depot UI, but that's way on the back burner... Leaving the original UI means you will have to set the train stop name correct yourself. This means it could be that you are creating a new depot name that is not connected to any trainbuilder... An easy way will be the UI telling you which trainbuilders are connected... (same as it works now)

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I think I brewed up some idea on allowing LTN depos to work as TCS depos

I think you can try removing TCS depots completely and allow to select any train stop as depot in controller. In 1.1 train stops have train limits, and they works similar to TCS depots train requests. You don't need to create new types of train stops and request system, just send a train stop name to train.
You still can run in some problems with this idea, but i think it will be easier than alter LTN stops or any other modded train stops (if there are any).

3 years ago

Would it be possible simply to select any train-stop by name and have the constructed trains go there? It could be a single station, one of multiple stations with the same name, or even an "LTN Depot".

3 years ago

You can already place a train stop and a train depot with the same name, just make sure it cannot travel to the train depot, but rather the regular train stop/ltn stop... The part I want to implement is to let the LTN stops act as train depots... as an extention

2 years ago

This is a possible quick-fix (dirty jerry-rigging) to make it work with LTN. Would have to test it, but I believe you can just put an LTN depot directly outside the train construction site and this mod's depot directly after it. Name them exactly the same. When the construction site sends out the new train to depot, it will stop at the first available stop with the programmed name (the LTN stop). There-after the train will hence become an LTN train. Just make sure to make the construction site's depot (LTN) as the last train to be scheduled. This way you can prevent an overflow of trains in your LTN.

For the equipment grid issue, there's an equipment gantry mod you might try that can put equipment into items. It seems that the parts can have equipment placed in them. Just need the construction site tweaked so that the crafted train will also have the equipment.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

This is a possible quick-fix (dirty jerry-rigging) to make it work with LTN. Would have to test it, but I believe you can just put an LTN depot directly outside the train construction site and this mod's depot directly after it. Name them exactly the same. When the construction site sends out the new train to depot, it will stop at the first available stop with the programmed name (the LTN stop). There-after the train will hence become an LTN train. Just make sure to make the construction site's depot (LTN) as the last train to be scheduled. This way you can prevent an overflow of trains in your LTN.

That should work indeed!

For the equipment grid issue, there's an equipment gantry mod you might try that can put equipment into items. It seems that the parts can have equipment placed in them. Just need the construction site tweaked so that the crafted train will also have the equipment.

I like the idea! I see how the gantry mod works, I could do something similar to create an item with the equipment configuration, followed by using that item in the trainbuilder... I might only create the item and leave the configuration up to the equiment granty mod itself, and only require an optional dependency on it...

New response