Shortwave

by dorfl

Connect or separate circuit networks via shortwave radio channels.

Content
4 years ago
0.17 - 0.18
Circuit network

b Delete

5 years ago

I can not delete the "Shortwave I/O" part.

5 years ago

Remove the "not-deconstructable" flags in data.lua

5 years ago

Got a save file? Alternatively, more detail on how to reproduce.

The I/O part should never exist separately to the radio entity, but if it does, you've found a bug.

5 years ago

The I/O part isn't meant to be deconstructable. Hence, bug.

5 years ago

Havn't managed to reproduce any bug here, so maybe it's a misunderstanding of the problem on my part somewhere. Updated the FAQ to hopefully make deconstruction clearer.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Pressing Q on shortwave I/O part to "pipette" it allows to put lone Shortwave I/O objects anywhere player chooses. This should probably be not allowed.

EDIT: This only happens with cheat mode (/cheat all) enabled, which allows to sample Shortwave I/O with Q and obtain a full item stack of Shortwave I/O items.

This (and showing 2 items in blueprints for each radio) could be probably solved by making the main item of the radio the decider combinator (instead of constant combinator to store the channel). That way circuit connections would be still preserved in blueprints.

Then the channel could be stored entirely as condition in the decider combinator. The advantage of this approach is that only one entity would be needed for the whole radio.
Alternatively, the channel could be only mirrored in the decider combinator and upon building the main radio decider combinator entity using a blueprint, the constant combinator settings could be restored using a script using the value previously stored in the decider combinator. This would be more complex to implement, but would retain the current behavior, while also using only one item in blueprints and getting rid of this cheat mode bug.

5 years ago

Oh, that last idea is interesting... thanks!

4 years ago

I keep hitting this when I blueprint, or cut and paste, radios. Any progress on updating this?

If not, would you mind if I poke around it a bit and see if I can figure it out (or find a template in another mod)?

4 years ago

Feel free. Is this happening only in cheat mode for you also, or in a normal game?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I'm pretty sure in normal games too. I'll see what I can do, when I can find the time. No ETA right now for annoying reasons.

Thanks for the mod, by the way. Invisible wires make the best wireless. ;)

4 years ago

My Bulk Teleporters mod has some recent fixes for similar problems (it's also dual-entity). Will look at porting those across.

4 years ago

Improvements in 0.1.4.

4 years ago

TYVM, I'll let you know if problems persist. Thank you again for the mod - far and away the best "wireless", what with the secret wires and all. :)

4 years ago

Jumping into this old thread, I see you solved it by immediately deleting the I/O part as soon as it gets placed in cheat mode. It would be more intuitive if you give the player the radio body when they use pipette on the I/O port. I do this in my mods by altering the player's hand stack inside the on_player_pipette event. slippycheeze's suggestion for dealing with blueprint circuit conditions is a good one too.

Here's the relevant part of my source code if you want to use it: https://github.com/robot256/Robot256Lib/blob/master/script/blueprint_replacement.lua

I'm switching my megabase from RadioNetwork to Shortwave. It's much nicer!

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Confirmed that when disabling "cheat mode", the radio could be deleted without residuals. The problem is that I frequently use this mod in the sandbox scenario to test different circuit networks. So, it'd be convenient if it works in the "cheat mode" too, or some ways to clean up the residuals.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I found out a semi-workaround to move the residual. Install "Picker Dollies", place a new shortwave radio in the place you want to move the residual to, use "picker dollies" to move the newly-placed radio to the tile where that residual resides. Now you can delete that residual with the radio, though leaving a new residual in the other place.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

sorry, this is a duplicate message and I don't know how to delete it.

New response