Resource Spawner Overhaul

by orzelek

Overhauls resource spawning system.

6 months ago
0.14 - 1.1

i Nullius Support

2 years ago

I'd like to request support for the Nullius overhaul. It has new ores, so it doesn't work out of the box, and some players have attempted it and run into this. Since RSO is one of the most common mods, it would be nice to have it working for Nullius.

It has 5 resources:
Iron Ore, which is the same as Vanilla, so it currently works, though I haven't looked into whether the quantity is right for Nullius.
Sandstone and Bauxite, 2 new resources that spawn near the starting area.
Limestone, a less common ore that doesn't spawn near the starting area.
Fumaroles, a fluid resource, which spawns similarly to oil (and not near the starting area).
Copper and Uranium ore exist, but are not spawned on the map.

The autoplace settings for these 5 resources are in the nullius/prototypes/generation.lua. This is currently called in the data-updates phase, since it's overriding the vanilla resources, though I could refactor some of it if that is necessary.

If there's any more info I can provide to help with porting, let me know. I've looked at the existing resourceconfigs files, but am not sure of the correspondence between RSO frequencies and autoplace settings.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I've looked at the current autoplace settings, and they're not really very fine tuned at all, but in principle, the 3 starting area resources should all be abundant, with iron ore the most common by a little, then sandstone, then bauxite, but not a huge difference between them. Limestone, ideally maybe half as much, and not near the starting area. Fumaroles comparable to oil, but ideally slightly less frequent but slightly more spots per patch than with oil. The fumarole spots take up a larger collision box area than oil, so I don't know if that impacts the algorithm at all.

2 years ago

I see the documentation in vanilla.lua, so I'll see if I can get a config file working myself.

2 years ago

It would be nice if you could provide one. If not I can try and take a look to generate something around vanilla ores.

2 years ago

I posted it in the RSO forum:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=98854

I tested this out and it seems reasonable. The resources are much more spaced out that I'm used to, but I think that's normal for RSO.

New response