6 months ago
0.14 - 1.1

g Bitumen

3 years ago

Bitumen mods please add not spawn
bm
peat

3 years ago

Actually a few more by now. Should I make a list?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I've noticed that this mod is quite often upgraded and I think it reached a scale where it would be good if his author could provide configs.

3 years ago

Ok. What do I need to do?

3 years ago

There is a config in RSO right now here:
resourceconfigs\bitumen.lua
You would need to add new resources to it and/or modify current ones.
For description of parameters you can check in vanilla.lua there are comments there.
Post me the config on forums and I'll add it.

3 years ago

Cool.

3 years ago

Well - almost nothing works as expected.
For now I will pop in an incompatible flag.
Perhaps revisit later.

3 years ago

This is to let you know what my experience with RSO-mod is, but also to inform people who use your mod.

As I see it you have made it easy to get changes to ore spawning that were not possible before factoria 0.17 and the use of "train-world" settings and such. And at the same time made any other creative modding in ressources like shale formations impossible. So you are really just making one kind of modification easy at the cost of making all other kinds of modifications impossible.

And you have done so without informing either the average user of your mod or the authors of the mods that your code makes unwanted changes to.

You don't provide any usefull information to either users or authors of other mods about how RSO will change their setups.

There has been a notice from a user for two month now, that the RSO-mod didt'n work for Factorio Bitumen. Yet you have done nothing. Nothing to correct the problem. Nothing to inform the user that he would need to switch off RSO for Bitumen resources to spawn. And you have done nothing to inform me that something was not working.

After I saw this thread I asked very politely what was needed, but you have yet to provide a usefull answer.

And it would seem that you have stopped working on your mod and making it more up-to-date. Have you given up on the project?

As a temporary solution I have added this line to the info.json file for Bitumen to make rso-mod incompatible:
"dependencies": ["base >= 1.1.0", "! rso-mod"]

This will not solve the problem, but is the only thing I can do for now. There will still be people who dont understand why Bitumen ressources are not spawning like they should. Or just assumes that the mod is not working like advertised.

So the real solution is to make it clear to users how it works and doesnt work. I hope you will try to inform users about the consequences of using RSO. Or at least not hide it.

I would strongly prefer to go for compatibility, but based on the observations above there is no credible basis for that.

3 years ago

Instructions I posted are what I give usually to other mod authors and it worked pretty well till now. I'm sorry if they were not helpful enough - I've assumed that it's enough since mod config is already present and needs to be expanded/edited.
And in same folder there is a vanilla.lua file with config for base game that contains descriptions of various parameters.

As for not updating the mod often - I've been open about not actively modding from some time. And providing your own config makes things faster for me since I don't need to go around mod files and try to figure out ore configs. And for bigger mods that are completly new to me I might not be able to provide decent config files. So asking mod author for one is the best way to get it done in sensible time.

It seems that you tried something but then wrote that nothing works as expected. This gives me no information about what you tried and what doesn't work. You didn't post anything about actual config only long post with complaints. It's hard to work with that from my side.

As a general rule if your mod does something custom with resources then it won't work with RSO by design. Partial compatiblity is also possible where some resources are not touched by RSO and others are spawned according to config.

3 years ago

"As for not updating the mod often - I've been open about not actively modding from some time."

That is not the complaint. This is: You did nothing for 2 month with the information that something was not working.

You have next to no credibility after that.

3 years ago

Ok, lets leave it at that.
If you change your mind at some point and decide to try and write the configs we can continue.

3 years ago

"If you change your mind at some point and decide to try and write the configs we can continue."

I did write the needed configurations for the resssources. But, as you write:

"As a general rule if your mod does something custom with resources then it won't work with RSO by design. "

So the solution is that you state this clearly in you information about the mod.

3 years ago

If your mod uses different resource spawning system then autoplace then those resources won't work with RSO.
It is possible to add them to list of exceptions in RSO to make it ignore them and work with all the others.

RSO also doesn't work with autoplace limitations for certain type of tiles resource can spawn on.

So it depends on how custom your logic is and if it's using on_chunk_generated event.

3 years ago

"It is possible to add them to list of exceptions in RSO to make it ignore them and work with all the others."

You should have said so a month ago when anybody still cared.
Too little too late.

3 years ago

work with all the others resources good idea

2 years ago

"It is possible to add them to list of exceptions in RSO to make it ignore them and work with all the others."

Too little too late.

ideas?

2 years ago

Too little too late.

ideas?

It is not my mod.
If orzelek does not care about compability, theres is nothing I can do.
If his code "disappears" bitumen ores or resources, I cant do anything but mark it as incompabible, which I have done.
It would be nice if orzelek would list the mods that rso is incompatible with, but that seems also to be too much to ask for.

2 years ago

I've described what can be done to make both mods work.
You've decided that my support is not enough - it's your choice.

Marking mod as incompatible is not required in both ways but I might add it to prevent user confusion.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

"I've described what can be done to make both mods work."

You have been as minimally helpfull as possible over an extended time period.
You have shredded your own credibility as described above.

As you stated yourself:
"As a general rule if your mod does something custom with resources then it won't work with RSO by design. "

I have no interest in speding my time cleaning up after rso code, that I dont understand and dont care about.
I just whish that what you would more clearly tell the users of your code that this is indded what they sign up for.

" I might add it to prevent user confusion."
Yes, that exactly the point I have made above.
So thank you, better late than never.

New response