Resource Spawner Overhaul

by orzelek

Overhauls resource spawning system.

6 months ago
0.14 - 1.1

g Does RSO change how oil fields are laid out?

4 years ago

I have found an oil field that contains a well that cannot be harvested because all possible output sides for a pumpjack are blocked by other pumpjacks. https://i.imgur.com/C5k3V3L.mp4

I was going to make a bug report, but I realized that I have RSO installed. It's possible that vanilla Factorio would have prevented wells from spawning like this, but RSO overrides that behaviour. I don't know if any of that is true, though, hence my question.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I think thats potentially possible. It should be pretty rare tho - thats quite a coincidence from RNG there.
RSO doesn't do any specific checks to make sure there is enough space around oil fields. And collision box of oil field itself is only as big as pumpjack.
This field that you have there looks pretty dense - did you change any of generation settings?

4 years ago

I used a train world, because I didn't read the mod description before jumping into 0.17.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

That reminds me I need to update the default railworld preset.
And size increase of railworld preset could make oil fields more cluttered.
Can you post the save somewhere?
I want to take a look how this one generated and maybe prevent it if it won't be to complex.

4 years ago

Here's the save: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16H9Uc5dajkltk5XoRqzxPxasoTX1kMBa

There's a bunch of other mods installed to it but none of them should change the resource spawning besides RSO. I'm standing right next to the oil well.

4 years ago

I tried respawning that oil wells but they move away on resource regeneration. It looks like map was started on earlier version of RSO so it won't recreate those in same place in 5.0.5.
I'm not sure how to protect nicely from something like that occuring. Oil patch is actually smaller then pumpjack so it's collision box differs from it. I would leave this as is for now since it doesn't break anything - one oil well won't be usable which might hurt OCD a bit.

New response