Resource Map Label Marker

by kizrak

Creates resource map label markers when chunks get generated and charted. See resources through fog of war. Please review settings and consult details below before starting!! 🚀 #icon #resources #map #reveal #label #markers #chunks #generated #chart #tag #map #ore #count #fog of war

Utilities
4 months ago
0.17 - 1.1

g Make it less laggy at the beginning of the game or when added in a played game?

4 years ago

Personally I would love to use this.. But it seems to almost freeze my game when loaded into an existing game.
Could you fix this? I took a quick look at your code and you on_init does a lot of work.. could this be broken down to smaller tasks?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Before loading map, set Starting chunk radius to generate to a smaller value that works for you.

A value of 1 should virtually disable the freezing.

3 years ago

Oh man on starting a new game the mod requests nearly 100k new chunks and the game grinds to a halt.
Fix this please. Suggestion, start with scouting the starting area and listen to new chunks.

3 years ago

Please set Starting chunk radius to generate to 1 before starting a map if you don't want a starting area scan.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Your mod scans not just the starting area but 100000 chunks.

3 years ago

it is really nice when it's possible to adjust such parameters. thank you.

but the problem with many mods is that they have only short tooltips or no tooltips at all, and thus users don't know whether some value of settable parameters is measured in tiles or in chunks (which is a factor of 32 or for areas even a factor of 1024), whether areas are circles or squares, or whether it is the radius or diameter (a factor of "only" 4), or whether values for times are in seconds or in ticks (a factor of 60). i even found this effect in a single (other) mod where values for three parameters confusingly were given in ticks, seconds and minutes.

for this mod setting, the default is 75: if it is measured in tiles this would be a dozen chunks only, but if it is the radius (and not the edge length) and measured in chunks, it would be 150x150 = 22500 chunks, a square of almost 5x5 kilometers, which is not needed for many maps (not even in midgame or endgame), and also slows down autosaves by a lot. thus i had assumed that it would be given in tiles, but to stay on the safe side i had reduced it ...

many people probably will not look at parameters at all, or at least not change any parameters of any mods and just use them. thus maybe the default for the starting area of this mod should be reduced to the size of the starting area from the "map setup options" (if that value can be read from the API at all), or at most to an area that corresponds to the area which is revealed on "map preview" (not sure and hard to measure, but would that be something like 64x64 = 4096 chunks or 2x2 km only, which sounds more reasonable to me) ?

ps: does "minimum resources to tag" (default=1000) mean that the mod will increase the radius until at least this number of resource fields is found (that would be insanely huge), but to find the nearest 2 or 3 resources fields of each type might be a nice useful feature :-) or that only resource fields with more than this number of harvestable resources will be tagged (that would mean all found fields on a new map, thus needed only on existing maps where fields are partially mined and split up)?

3 years ago

https://github.com/abaines/Resource-Marker/commit/eb3811274e2a3236d0efa72508f5e479ab12b600

ps: "minimum resources to tag" If a chunk has less than this many resources it will be ignored for tagging/labeling.

You'd be really surprised at how many random resource patches have less than 1k resources... (Happens often when two resources generate in the same location, or near water, or edge of map.)

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

really nice to have better descriptions now, and also that the primary scanned area by default now is only 2.5x2.5 km² (2x40x32 diameter = 2x1280 radius = 2560 tiles) instead of almost 5x5 km² (2x75x32= 4800 tiles). THANK YOU !

ps: "minimum resources to tag" i noticed this effect mostly on two occasions: when (as you said) the area is near water (in that case, i might wish to know and add up the small separate areas), or when there are leftovers or random spots (no real OCD, but i still like to either harvest or clean up everything in range :-)
but with an option, it's no problem to adjust according to what users want. thanks also for this feature.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Glad to be of help!

Yeah, I figured 1000 resources just seems like it would take more energy/resources to mine/harvest than the patch might actually have. 😎

Thanks for the feedback!

3 years ago

(unsolvable) problem with such a limit is that near the origin of the map in your starting area a field with 1000 ore may already be quite large, while a very distant ore field of only 1 or 2 tiles already may have 1000 ore ...
some other mod has two options to solve this problem: giving the size of the field either as amount of ore and/or giving the size as number of tiles that make up the field. but this requires more setup, is more difficult to understand, and doesn't solve edge cases (how a user might like it best) much better either.
the current option is ok, and i simply have set it to 0, while others might set it to a larger value of >1M :-)

btw: i currently use Klonan's mining drones. thus i only need to plop down a mining depot (somewhere nearby) and insert a few drones, wait a few minutes and collect everything -> small field is cleaned up :-)

New response