Resource Map Label Marker

by kizrak

Creates resource map label markers when chunks get generated and charted. See resources through fog of war. Please review settings and consult details below before starting!! 🚀 #icon #resources #map #reveal #label #markers #chunks #generated #chart #tag #map #ore #count #fog of war

Utilities
4 months ago
0.17 - 1.1

b Resource Map Label Marker just makes my game freeze

4 years ago

Loved the look of the mod because I normally go around manually labelling patches etc. Downloaded it for a new map start, but as I load in my FPS/UPS just tanks and keeps going down. Lowest I waited to see was 0.6/0.6. Thought it might be an interaction with another mod, so started a new map with just base mod and this, no difference. Any ideas?

4 years ago

Similarly, when installing the mod, fps | ups drops to 6

4 years ago

Glad it is not just me then. Guess we just need to wait for Kizrak to look into it and respond.

4 years ago

The lag I'm seeing is due to the setting "Starting chunk radius to generate", which can cause the first minute or two to be really slow because the game might be trying to generate ~22.5k chunks. Trying setting that value lower before starting a map, or just wait a bit and see if the UPS clears up.

Can you let me know if the UPS drop persists for more than the first two minutes?

4 years ago

Waited a few minutes and it came back to 60/60, saved and loaded back and was fine. Guess I can wait a while when making new maps (Took about 30 seconds on a brand new map, longer on an established save with mods) to let the mod do its thing.

4 years ago

New issue though. Seems to be scanning, revealing and labelling patches WAY outside my range. Might be something to do with the big brother radar upgrades mod? but it dips UPS every time it "uncovers" a new patch too

https://i.imgur.com/McP5fWt.png

and it was still going when I screenshot this

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

There is a setting for that too; Chart chunks (reveal map) with resources is the setting. Also, RSO (among other mods) reveals chunks (based on settings too).

3 years ago

UPS is very low, almost frozen. With Krastorio+Space Mod.

3 years ago

the old radius around your starting location for a first scan was 75 chunks, for a total of almost 5x5 km², or 22500 chunks. revealing so many chunks and also scanning all chunks that belong to a field and all their neigboring chunks quickly adds up and takes a while. the default for this first scanning radius is now only 40, for 2.5 x 2.5 km² (=6400 chunks) and can be further reduced by adjusting mod options (some numeric, and some to toggle extended searches off). thanks! (see also other thread)

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

@yunlu, are you using v0.5.11? If so, consider adjusting the starting chunk generation radius. After the map initially loads, the UPS for this should be minimal (only when new chunks are generated).

And thanks @Anson_AKB !

3 years ago

I wait for 2 munites, UPS down to 30, usually 60.

3 years ago

@yunlu What version of the mod and Factorio are you running? What were your mod settings set at before and after you started the map?

3 years ago

@Kizrak I have tried some settings.
https://ibb.co/MhThhyF

Main Mods: Krastorio2, SpaceEx, Factorissimo2

3 years ago

Do you have any mods that change how resources are spawned? I'm not familiar with Krastorio2 or SpaceEx.

I'm curious if you are using a mod that adds resources to most chunks, in which case "Generate chunks adjacent to chunks with resources" could trigger recursively/indefinitely, which would cause continuous lag (because every chunk that had resources would trigger nearby chunks to generate, and when they generate (with resources) they would repeat the process) (until the map size exceeded your computer's memory).

Maybe there is a way for you to send me a save file that is reproducing the issue? It should also include all of the mods (and their settings) that you are using to try to reproduce the issue.

3 years ago

when loading a savegame and using the option to synchronize mods, there should be additional options (checkmarks) to also synchronize mod settings of all those mods. that's probably one of the reasons why some devs and mod authors prefer to get a savegame (even a dummy savegame for a newly started map) instead of a long list of mods, when reporting some bug.

maybe the two options to reveal chunks and to generate chunks should be off by default ?
i like the QoL aspect of clearly visible resources patches to be shown with lots of details, and i also would like a limited "reveal chunks" that only shows the complete patch when i have discovered part of the patch (most important would be to get the exact numbers/size of the entire patch and not only of the visible part of the patch; not necessarily also to reveal it and start the recursive generation of chunks), but not to generate, discover and reveal additional patches (which happens a lot eg when having set map generation options to "frequent") resulting in doubling my savegame sizes from all those additional ore patches around the discovered areas. THAT then feels like cheating to me.

3 years ago

Probably getting really off topic by this point, but I really wanted a way to give resource sizes/locations without revealing the map at all, but the API does not support this and the mod interface suggest won't be implemented.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=78977 :-(

New response