Artisanal Reskins: Bob's Mods

by Kirazy

Reskins items, entities, and technologies within Bob's mods to add tier colors and icon labeling. Features high-res icons and updated sprites to align with vanilla Factorio, and supports player-customizable tier labels, colors and mapping. Part of the Artisanal Reskins series.

Tweaks
4 hours ago
1.0 - 1.1

b [Fixed] Settings not working proper

3 years ago

Hey! Just wanted to say I love the mod as Bob's mods really lacks proper tiering. However, I was fiddling with the mod settings like disabling tier listings for belts and the like, and I noticed a few things.

One, the setting for displaying the tier label for belts is broken. No matter what, it will display the tier.
Two, disabling reskins for Bob's Ores does not prevent the mod from reskinning the ores or the processed plates. I tried disabling other Bob reskins to see if they were located somewhere else but had no luck with any.

There may be other issues like this, but these were the two I found that were making it so I couldn't use the mod. Also, I'm not sure if it's not working or just very subtle, but the option to change the coloring from "Vibrant" to "Soft" seems to not change anything.

Mods installed (and enabled) are all the bob mods, Helmod, Alien Biomes and its HD counterpart (though it's a map without these biomes. I accidentally saved on the file with them enabled.) and of course this mod and the reskin library needed. I have disabled the Alien Biomes mods, but the issues persist.

Just wanted to report this so it could get fixed whenever you have the opportunity!

3 years ago

1) Caught that when I was redoing how belt tints were handled earlier in February, so that is already fixed for next release.

2) I've gone through and ensured that items/technologies are properly captured by the various "reskin this" settings. And made settings where appropriate. I had previously not intended for items/equipment/recipes/technologies to be optional, but it's not hard to add code-wise, and it would be consistent to be able to turn that off. With this, you can in theory have the mod and it won't actually do anything.

3) The difference between "vibrant" and "soft" is small, the general effect is to make it look slightly more washed out/desaturated. Under the hood it's a change to how the highlights layer blends from "additive" to "additive-soft". I do have plans to implement a HSV color system so that players could control how bright/saturated the colors are directly without having to go full custom-colors on the mod, but for the moment the only real control you have as a player to modify the colors significantly is to enable custom colors and tweak those.

3 years ago

Ah excellent, thank you so much!

3 years ago

I had avoided making reskinning items toggleable because all the items are done in very large lists, and so you can't, say, only not reskin the plates. If you don't want the plates, you also don't get the gears, bearings, fuel cells, fluids, wafers, misc items like glass, carbon, rubber, resin, etc. So... xD

I can't let people hide settings, otherwise that sort of really granular control appeals to me.

3 years ago

I mainly wanted the mod for the tier differences in color since everything looking exactly the same doesn't help me quite a bit when knowing what things to upgrade and etc. But I've been playing with the default look of the ores and stuff for so long that going and changing all the base materials is jarring and not something I want to get used to. So I do appreciate you having all of the togglables to begin with!

3 years ago

Hm. Keep in mind items/structures/recipes/technologies are all controlled by the same setting, they're broken out by mod, not by type.

It's not a big deal if you're just toggling off Bob's MCI and Bob's Ores, since those don't really add structures (aside from the barreling/compressor machines), but you'll start running into issues with the rest.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Hmmmmmmmmm. I'm thinking about this:

I could add an additional toggle/series of toggles that control scope. The way the code is done, I have three scopes, technologies, items/recipes, and entities. It would be easy enough to add support to have the do-reskin settings have narrowed scope based on other settings.

3 years ago

if it's not too much trouble, that would be appreciated. If not, that's fine too! I just appreciate the work you do so I don't want to demand anything from you by any means.

3 years ago

I'll add scope settings. It'll let you keep the entity reskins and discard item reskins by mod.

3 years ago

lol this turned into a whole-day project. The scope creep was real, but it's all implemented and functional now. Under the hood everything is now trigger based so theoretically it's possible to have more granular control than even the settings technically permit, provided another mod comes along and modifies the triggers. Though that may be dicey, a lot of the functions fire in data. :D

3 years ago

Ooh, awesome! I can't wait to see it once it's released!

3 years ago

Just to manage expectations: there's two "levers".

You can individually toggle a set of mods on/off.

You can also toggle entities/equipment/items/technologies on/off.

It's not exposed to the player how to toggle off entities/equipment/items/technologies on a per-mod basis, but you could edit the triggers.lua yourself to have more granular control.

I do plan to eventually have every sensible grouping of entities/equipment/items/technologies trigger based (not necessarily player-configurable through settings), but that is as-yet not done, but the framework is in place. Just a matter of breaking everything out into groups in code.

3 years ago

Update is out, let me know what you think.

3 years ago

Ooh this is much better! I appreciate you putting the work into this for sure! Thanks again!

New response