Randomtorio

This mod randomizes the recipes with in the game. While at the same time having code that will make use the game stays possible.

Overhaul
1 year, 30 days ago
Manufacturing

g Better way to figure out cost?

5 months ago

Poor title for this-
I recently got the itch to play random factorio, but hated the previous mod I was using, and found this mod as a response to it. But... looking at the log only tells me the base cost of things by ore, not the technologies required nor the recipes themselves- is there a way to dump that info?
I thought about reverse engineering the mod to plonk a seed that looked reasonable into it and pull the info, but not really willing to put in that much effort for a randomized experience. (Also not fun to go "oh yeah that looks doable" loads the seed "Ah. All of my transport belts are in blue tech researches")

Cool concept though!

5 months ago

Well, my idea was that this was as random as it could be. So belts can be far away. But I have worked on something in order to force some items into the starting items.

5 months ago

Would still be interested in a way to see the recipes and technology tree before launching a world. I do like the randomness, I guess my way of trying to prepare myself for a seed going in does counter it a bit? When playing randomizers, I do like having a bit of a plan, where in every attempt at randomizer in this game it's been not really possible to plan.

Force some items into starting items: What exactly do you mean by this? Provide the player with some starting items? Force some recipes to always be available, instead of buried down the tech tree?

5 months ago

Part of this comes up from lines like these:

"long-handed-inserter needs 3461133900.00 copper-ore, 9789711180.00 stone, 52035039336.36 crude-oil, 1041185.00 coal, 186827444.00 iron-ore, 10617027750.00 water and 25982267873.72 seconds spend crafting"
... Ok. Why? Why is it that many items?! That's absurd. (the seed is 21183)

I think my problem in general is how, despite not having picked "expensive", I consistently find seeds with absurd amounts of items required per recipe- over a full yellow belt of stone, or iron ore, or coal- and just throw the seed away because I don't feel like grinding 10 more hours to get brickwalled by needing 12,000+ steel to make a military science pack, while needing over 50 of them to get to my blue pack. (Didn't help that I also needed water, and derped and locked myself to 1 lake per map, and didn't have access to trains)

This is the same issue I wound up having with the other randomizer mod.... But that one I felt I could progress albeit slowly. This last run felt like a Sisyphean effort to hand feed my way, so far down, only to sit down and try to work out how to do the 3rd pack and realize wait a minute that's too much steel... And I can't even automate yet, not to this degree... At most maybe a pack an hour? That felt really unplayable in the end.

One thing I am going to do is drop mods that work with Randomtorio but add recipes... Shortening the tech tree might help?

New response