Pyanodons Coal Processing

Extends and overhauls Factorio's burner phase. Use realistic oil and coal processes to create advanced products. Functions as the core and library for the rest of the pY mods.

Overhaul
23 hours ago
Mining Fluids Manufacturing

i Wood treating recipe unbalanced

4 years ago

I think 100 creosote per 1 wood for treated wood is way way too much. It should be at most 20, or better 10 units.
Only one treated wood automated factory requires 3 Tar Processing Units, 4 Gasifiers for converting coal gas to tar+syngas, 8 Destructive distillation columns for converting wood to coal, coke and tar, and insane amount of either botanical nursery or greenhouses. And overall it requires almost 10 times wood for creosote per unit of untreated wood. I'm sure this is not even close to real life.
I even tried to google appropriate numbers.
Wood treating requires 10-20kg/m^3 of creosote, m^3 of dry wood is 500-600 kg on average, so 10-20kg of creosote per 500-600kg of dry wood, or 20-30kg/ton. A wood tar yield per ton of dry wood is about 240kg (though I believe that in practice extracted values should be lower, maybe even up to ten times lower), which is mostly dirty creosote. So, I believe, ratio of wood for creosote production to wood treating should be close to 1:1, which confirms that wood treating recipe should require 10 units of creosote.