exfret's randomizer

by exfret

Randomizes game properties, like belt speeds, inserter speeds, and more. Over a hundred game properties are touched. Download for the ultimate randomization experience that will force you to think in different new ways!

Overhaul
18 days ago

i Lower tier entities should be worse

2 months ago

Hey! I had an idea for a mod setting after watching dosh's recent video. He was lamenting the lack of better buildings (like how assembler 2 and 3 are slower than assembler 1) My idea was to, when randomizing the properties of entities, work your way up from lower tier to higher tier buildings. Set a lower bound so the lower tier buildings are always worse (or at least the same) as the next tier. That would be the default setting, and players would have the option to disable it and go to completely random.

2 months ago

I started implementing this the other day and then realized two things...

1. If I want this to work with mods, I have to have an automated way of telling the "upgrade lines". I have a few ideas for this, but can think of ways for each one to break. This is more of a technical limitation, if you know some of how modding works and have an idea of how to overcome this lemme know. I'm thinking of just hardcoding it in for vanilla now as a test feature.

2. Doing it would require a massive rewrite of all my code due to how it's organized. So yeah, don't expect it any time soon even once I finish (1)

2 months ago

How are you thinking it could break in some cases? I might be able to think of a fix.

Reworking it makes sense. No pressure.

2 months ago

Well, I could test for next_upgrade but that only works for entities and doesn't account for small electric poles to substations for example. I could also test for if something is a "strict" upgrade of another with all properties better, but that also misses a lot. Finally, I could randomize based on when you unlock it, but that would group together too many things.

2 months ago

I think it would be ok to generalize that substations are different from power poles, and i think most mods would agree. As for items... i guess you could order them based on stats? Like fuel value, damage, etc?

2 months ago

Even if you can't account for everything, i think accounting for most entities/items would be cool

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

To add to this, I think something might be broken with higher tier assembler crafting speed values. In a good 10-20 different seeds, Assembler 1 was highest 90% of the time, and Assembler 2-3 were NEVER higher than 1.00. It's possible I just had really weird luck with random seeds, but it seemed suspicious.

2 months ago

Weird. Hopefully gonna test it when i get home tn

2 months ago

BJC, I'll look into this, that does sound kinda sus.

New response