Angel's Smelting Patch

Make Angel's smelting recipes the best way by disabling direct ore smelting in furnaces. It forces you to go in the advanced metallurgy path. Need angel's smelting.

Tweaks
3 years ago
0.15 - 0.18

i Diferent approach

6 years ago

I see your intention. I even suggested it more then once on the forums.I just think you got the wrong approach.

by disabling iron ore smelt into plates and forcing to use metallurgy you are only delaying early game since it needs more crushed ores for the plates.
In my opinion the problem really comes from electric furnaces and worst, bobs furnaces. Let them smelt all the ore they want, but being restricted to stone furnace. Prevent the other furnaces of working by doing some category-fu on the furnaces.
This way, player has two choices. Use a massive amount of slow and coal consuming stone furnaces or move to metallurgy. No more 2 beaconed multi-purpose electric furnace mk2 with a lot of mod slots outputting thousands of plates per minute!

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

I will add in 0.0.3 a special stone furnace only for that and finaly not

6 years ago

eh, I like your original implementation florian. If someone is going to use the Angel's smelting mod, then they should use the angels' smelting mod. The original intention for your mod also removed the use of late game electric furnace setups just like nagapito was mentioning.

To me, allowing for stone furnaces makes it so advanced iron smelting level 1 has no purpose (100% efficiency recipe). There is no real reason to switch to angel's smelting until iron smelting level 2 (but probably level 3 realistically). So in essence you are allowing vanilla smelting to occur while at the same time making the first level of angel's smelting worthless. I don't see the point.

As an alternative to nagapito's "delay early game" point you could do things to quicken to the path to angel's smelting level 1 (though again, I usually go for that until I have 1.5k/min iron plate production anyhow (96 furnaces). Some ideas:

-Make tech cheaper
-Start player with angel's level 1 equipment + tech
-reduce crafting time on equipment
-reduce cost of level 1 equipment

Honestly I dont think any of those ideas are needed but they could reduce that "delay of early game" nagapito was talking about

6 years ago

or I could add an in-game option for starter kit

6 years ago

yep, that would work. and/or nagapito's option as well via in the in game mod settings.

New response