Leighzer's Morphite

Adds a new supplemental ore that can be processed into the other raw resources.

Content
2 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Mining

i About crude oil

5 years ago

Just mentioning that because coal liquification exists, actual crude oil making is not 100% necessary. As long as you can find some of it to get the initial heavy oil. I'm planning on trying the mod while disabling or greatly reducing vanilla ores.

5 years ago

That is a great point! I am not super well versed in the tech tree, but I think coal liquefaction depends on advanced oil research which depends on blue science which ultimately depends on access to crude oil. So I think to do a full run with the mods current state you are required to have crude oil placed on the map (at least a little until you get coal liquifaction unlocked). With that said, you wouldn't need too much, and once coal liquefaction is up and you have the starter heavy oil I do agree one should be set to survive on Morphite. I do plan on adding direct recipes for Morphite to crude oil and uranium so folks could have the option to disable those in the map gen if they wanted to. These recipes are going to be a bit tricky to figure out and balance properly, but I have some ideas.

For now, you should be able (if you wanted) to go ahead and disable the vanilla ores (besides uranium!). The start I think would be quite slow, but it should be possible to progress through a game.

5 years ago

Also i wasn't convinced on the morphite fuel. It has same 8 MJ fuel value as coal, but you use 2 to make it instead of 1. Coal added pollution though while morphite didn't. I'm not sure this went as planned?

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

The recipe design of Morphite fuel is intentional. All the other recipes can take some time to complete while it is quite easy to get Morphite out of the ground. The idea behind the fuel recipe is to provide an early game resource sink for players who don't value the resource as much and want to spend it. The recipe provides players with a much faster, although less resource efficient way to spend Morphite. You could opt to throw down twice the assemblers and run the efficient coal recipe, or you could run less assemblers and run the fuel recipe and get the same fuel output. Those are the ideas behind Morphite fuel, I just added in so it is very possible things may need to get tweaked.

As for pollution, is this when Morphite fuel is being used inside of boilers? If pollution isn't getting created I'll definitely take a look into that.

Edit: typo

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Vanilla coal (1 morphite) now in 0.17 provides 4 MJ and morphite fuel (2 morphite) 8 MJ. And i can't agree with it being resource sink, every bit of morphite is valuable because you need to decide how much of it goes to ores, i will only use the longest lasting fuel from beginning of the game. But now they're equal so that's fine with me.

5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Zaflis, I appreciate it! I actually was unaware that coal was changed in this way. May I ask what you choose to process Morphite into for fuel now?

Do you think a fast resource sink for Morphite is not necessary? Are the processing techniques for other ores fast enough to comfortably spend the Morphite?

5 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean, i don't have angel's (mod) processing or something. It feels comfortable/fast enough as is, that morphite crafts faster than coal makes it better option in early game. It emphasizes that it's an actual fuel unlike coal that can be used for many other things later on. This doesn't seem to have any speed boosts for vehicles so you will want to move away from it after solid fuel and rocket fuel techs. Again that is good balance.
(This topic title is not matching what we're discussing, moving rest of the post to a new one...)

New response