by OwnlyMe

Custom tints for laser beams!

Content
4 years ago
0.17 - 0.18
Combat

i custom color

4 years ago

Could you give an option to change the laser color based on RGB values? Maybe some presets like purple and red?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hope you like it

4 years ago

Reminds me of discussion about colored laser beams earlier in 0.17 version posts on reddit, except that was about damage tiers or even circuit control to specify colors dynamically.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

That would be awesome, but may be a bit harder with a mod.

4 years ago

reading signals costs a lot of performance, even though it might be cool if you could toggle some kind of overdrive...

4 years ago

There was an older mod for 0.15 called Laser Obelisks that was similar to that. Lasers needed to charge up, did 20x damage and requiring 20x more energy but balanced by being bad for groups.

So charging up for a big blast while your smaller gun turrets took out anything getting too close. Which is what I think you mean by overdrive.

4 years ago

i rather thought of an combinator interface to manually (or with the adequate logic automatically) increase damage on the cost of more energy consumption and periodical damage.

4 years ago

It's not worth creating extra performance impact (unless it's entirely optional to enable a circuit control / event handler), at any rate.

4 years ago

well if no wires are attached, it wouldnt eat any performance... it would also be possible to make 1 combinator that affects an entire row of towers, like that one: https://mods-data.factorio.com/assets/76e09c4ca1ac1406bb490b86fb53e16c0e2f1fbf.png
but tbh i don't really like how that looks...

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

should i make random colors? https://www.dropbox.com/s/o41fytrww0mnuc6/2019-06-11%2021-01-15.mp4
(before you ask for rainbows: doesnt work.. :( )

4 years ago

Yes! All the options.

4 years ago

Hmm i think nobody would ever use it... also the glow on the floor wouldn't match the laser's color...

4 years ago

k there you go
called it "disco"

4 years ago

the Disco! omg yes! thank you^^ i was about to ask if you could make such thing like random lasercolor....
but it´s already there!

4 years ago

lol^^ hope you like it

4 years ago

Could the color setting be in Map settings instead of Startup? It could be changed while playing then and quicker try what different colors look like.

4 years ago

no

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

In theory, it would be possible to script-swap laser turret entities and thus their corresponding beam graphics.

There was a mod that used to do this with each damage upgrade, giving a progressive color shift as your tech improved.

The resulting blip of lag and surge in power consumption (as it didn't take the time to set the energy buffer in the newly created turret, IIRC) was rather amusing.

4 years ago

you could just restore the energy via script, but for example my turret shields mod wouldnt work with that, it would eat a lot of ups and the amount of prototypes would make the game load much slower.

4 years ago

Also just noticed the beam head is slightly detached from the middle section:
https://i.imgur.com/aUEdkOM.png
Nevermind the glow so bright it looks like clear daylight ;) It's focused shot of 11 lasers. I'm gonna darken it a bit though.

4 years ago

you need to update the mod, i removed almost everything when they included it in the base game.
the mod is only used for changing the color now.

4 years ago

sadly the rainbowoption is gone too -.-

4 years ago

they changed too much to make it a quick update and it looked terrible anyway imo..

4 years ago

I came here to look specifically for a mod that would randomize the color of each beam of laser (blue! then red! then blue again! then purple!). I've never done a factorio mod, but I'm pretty savvy, I guess I can download this and take a look at it

4 years ago

Basically I want to be a running daft punk concert. XD

4 years ago

After looking at the LUA, I'm not sure how often these files are read / referenced for the laser color. Is it one time on load and never again? If so, I guess I'd need some way to modify the color while the game is in flight, and I'm not sure how to do that.

4 years ago

Modifying things that are set on startup (and have no control-stage API calls) requires swapping the entity out entirely for a different version with the desired configuration. It's doable, but script-heavy.

4 years ago

Modifying things that are set on startup (and have no control-stage API calls) requires swapping the entity out entirely for a different version with the desired configuration. It's doable, but script-heavy.

Do you know of an example mod that does this? Something I can look at and screw with?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/50cvn6n0cq3y1o3/laser_fix_0.17.12.zip?raw=1
the customer is always right...
(except in this case..)
this is probably the only way to do it because it supports all colors of the rainbow (isn't limited to what fits into a spritesheet)
no idea how much performance it eats and the beams flicker a little bit

New response