It's About Time!


Displays a clock with the in-game time on the current planet.

Utilities
3 months ago
2.0 - 2.1
5.03K
Environment

g Space Exploration compatibility

a month ago

Any chance for a future Space Exploration compatibility?
In another post, someone asked about the clock changing color to green/red depending on the time of day, so that you can immediately see when the solar energy is working. I liked this idea a lot.
By the way: Click on the planet-button on Nauvis dont open Factoriopedia. Maybe its because of Space Exploration?

a month ago
(updated a month ago)

Hi!

I've never played Space Exploration and don't really know how space travel and other planets work there. I've installed SE just now to have a look, but I think it's a bit more complicated than in Space Age (where I can simply generate all planets via the map editor in a completely new save, then look at the remote view or just teleport my character to the planets).

I should try SE though, it looks kinda interesting. Maybe then I'll implement it. 😅

Alternatively, if you have a save file with some unlocked planets and stuff, you could send it to me via mail (factorio@binarydiv.dev) and I could have a look. Can't promise anything, though.

By the way: Click on the planet-button on Nauvis dont open Factoriopedia. Maybe its because of Space Exploration?

You're probably still playing on Factorio 2.0 (not the experimental 2.1 release), right? I've implemented the button click in the most recent release, but that's also the release where I changed the Factorio version to 2.1 (to be compatible with 2.1 when it's finally released). Sadly you can't make a mod release that's compatible with multiple Factorio versions, so "adding" support for 2.1 also means removing support for 2.0. (I guess I could have made two separate releases, but it's not really worth it for this small feature.) However, alt-clicking the button should still open Factoriopedia, I think?

a month ago

Hello and thank you for your reply.
My save file has 116 Mods, you have to download a lot. 😅
I myself have over 1,100 hours of gameplay in Vanilla Factorio and Space Age, but I'm not that far along in Space Exploration yet and have only developed the Nauvis orbit and one other planet. But what I noticed was: when I downloaded Bob's Clock, the time readings of your clock and his on the other planet were completely different, but your clock was significantly more accurate. His watch showed "11:00 AM", yours "0:45 AM". Since solar power was deactivated, "11:00 AM" couldn't possibly be correct. The entire day-night cycle matched your watch quite well.
I don't know how your clock calculates that, probably in the different tick count of each planet, but that should also work for the planets from Space Exploration, right?

Yes, we (a friend and I) are playing version 2.0.77, not the experimental 2.1. And also yes, alt-clicking opens the Factoriopedia. I just wanted to let you know that this feature isn't working. The reason is probably, as you said, 2.0.
Your mod would definitely fill a niche, because somehow there doesn't seem to be anything reliable for space exploration, even though SE has been around forever and is very popular.

a month ago

have only developed the Nauvis orbit and one other planet

I think that would already help. And I don't mind the mod count, I can just disable some of them that aren't important for the feature ^^

But what I noticed was: when I downloaded Bob's Clock, the time readings of your clock and his on the other planet were completely different, but your clock was significantly more accurate.

Huh! That's interesting, and apparently you're not the first one with that issue. Bob's Clock seems to show different times than other mods (not just mine apparently): https://mods.factorio.com/mod/clock/discussion/63ef4371dc607658e2920395

I'll look into this later, I'm curious how Bob's mod works differently from mine. My mod simply reads the daytime property of the current surface, which is a floating number between 0 and 1 where 0 stands for 12:00 (noon), which I then map to a 24 hour format. (In case you're interested, here's the code that does the time conversion: https://github.com/binaryDiv/factorio-its-about-time/blob/main/scripts/helpers.lua#L5-L8)

3 days ago

Hey there!
Please excuse my delayed response.

Do you have any other way I can send you my game save? It's over 100 MB, but email only allows a maximum of 20 MB.

3 days ago

No worries!

Hmm. There's a bunch of free file upload services but I haven't used them in ages and don't know which one to recommend. 😅
If you want, feel free to message me on Discord (username: binarydiv), that's probably easier than communicating through a mod discussion thread. ^^

13 hours ago

Wrote you on Discord :)

New response