Hacked Splitters deprecated

You've used your ingenuity as an engineer to hack your original splitter design, creating new splitters that perfectly balance transport belt inputs. These hacked splitters require extra circuitry and are best used with single-item belts as they no longer perform the function of their baser models. They unlock when their respective counterparts become available.

Content
6 years ago
Transportation

b Performance issues in 0.14.7?

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

First off, I absolutely love the mod. I've always thought splitters should have the option of functioning like your hacked splitters do. Nice job!

I've noticed (since for sure 0.14.7, but possibly prior) that I am getting significantly more lag that I usually do. Initially I contributed it to the experimental branch, but today I took the time to strip out all the mods I had installed, clean install the game, and add them in one by one to see if it was a mod issue. Long story short, I had 60 fps/ups with all the mods I use installed, but once hacked splitters was installed (by itself) the performance in my factory instantly dropped from 60 to under 40 fps/ups. Take it out and back to max performance, even with about 12 mods installed. I haven't seen anyone commenting on performance issues with it, but it is definitely seems to be related to the mod. Anyone else having this issue?

My system specs are great. Intel i7 at 3.5 Ghz, 32 Gb of ram, Nvidia 980 graphics card.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Thank you, nicutus, for the kind words.

I am most definitely looking at performance improvements; hacked splitters are beastly. I can't speak to your 0.14.7 observations, though.

For reference, I disabled my mod and loaded up the save game. In the "Removed entities" section, I had 318 hacked-express-splitters. Both before and after I disabled the mod, my FPS/UPS flickers between 59.5 and 60. I am running Factorio 0.14.8.

Creating a new game, with 300 active hacked express splitters using the Creative Mod to continuously keep them active, my FPS/UPS is 59-60. However, when I push it to 600, it drops down to 49 FPS. Other breakpoints: 360--58, 420--58, 480-57, 540--56, 570--50*. If the total update time is less than 16ms, then FPS/UPS effect is minor. With my installed mods, at 570 hacked splitters the update cycle is pushed above 16ms causing a big hit to FPS/UPS.

HTH (or at least adds some clarity)!

7 years ago

You're quite welcome.

That's interesting that it takes around 600 hacked splitters to push the updates down to around the fps I'm getting. I just double checked and when I removed the mod, I it did remove 564 hacked-fast-splitters. I honestly did not think I used nearly that many! I can definitely understand the splitters being a bit beastly when it comes to performance.

Thank you for taking the time to look into it! I'll see about optimizing my factory a bit and using regular splitters to help reduce the performance hit a bit.

7 years ago

I also noticed a UPS-hit even when not placing a single hacked Splitter.
On my map, i usually have stable 60 UPS - After enabling your mod, they drop down to 55 every second or two.
As said, i havent placed any modded splitters so far.

New response