Factorio World

Mod that changes the world generation to be a real-world map. Two world maps to choose from: "Atlantic" and "Pacific".

Content
2 years ago
0.14 - 1.1
Environment

i Alien Biome version

6 years ago

Have you ever considered making an Alien Biome compatible version and adding some of the biomes they have created to the world gen for added detail and diversity?

6 years ago

So I have taken a look at the readme and the actual string. I am wondering if I can make this compatible with just adding the textures to the terrain_codes? Looking at the world2.lua I can't tell how the converter is translating the tiles to the actual world. I also see that you add a special character to the string for terrain_codes and am not sure what the purpose of that is.

((212,218,174), "G", "grass-dry")

As far as I can tell: ((<RGB color on map>, "<?a letter?>", "<the title of terrain to use for the color>")

Anyone else have thoughts on how to get the generator to work with an outside biomes mod?

3 years ago

I added information about how to generate maps yourself in the readme.

The letter is used as a short name for the tile type when compressing the data. Just make sure it's in sync between the convert.py and control.lua file, and it should work. If it's not clear I can explain more, and update the readme.

1 year, 3 months ago

Anyone ever figure out how to make these two mods to work together?

1 year, 3 months ago

I've not really worked on this for a looooong time sadly. And I think I'd need to rewrite some stuff for it when I do start, simplify things mainly. That might also be a good moment to add in Alien Biome support, maybe as a separate map as adding more different ground types will makes the required data much bigger and my custom compression for it worse.

So sorry, sadly the answer is no :(

hyspeed β˜†
1 year, 2 months ago

Anyone ever figure out how to make these two mods to work together?

I have been asked a few times about supporting alternate surface biomes. K2 has 'biter creep' too. And mountains translated to cliffs.

@TheOddler - Nexela rewrote a lot of the world generation code to optimize for memory and loading performance. If you ever do get back into this, you'll want to look at the latest version of CitiesOfEarth to see what he did for us. https://github.com/HySpeed/CitiesOfEarth3/blob/main/scripts/coe_worldgen.lua

1 year, 2 months ago

@HySpeed Aha cool! I'll take a look at that at some point. Thanks for letting me know!

New response