Resource Monitor

by devdot

Monitor mining sites and track resources across planets/surfaces.

Utilities
a day ago
1.1 - 2.0

g Recommended by YARM

a day ago

Heya, i'm currently the primary maintainer of YARM, and i want to say thanks for updating ResMon to 2.0. Given how much more advanced it seems to be, and the age of YARM, i've taken liberty of recommending ResMon both on our readme and as an optional dependency. If you have additional input on differences, suggestions on how we can more effectly do this recommending etc, please let us know. :)

a day ago

Hey @Mithaldu,
I'm very honored by your recommendation!

I think one of the main differences between our mods is that I chose auto-detection of all sites, while YARM lets the user define sites manually. I wanted auto-detection, but I know some people enjoy the flexibility of YARM in that regard and they'll be happier with YARM. In multiplayer, I'd still recommend YARM because my mod has some issues that I find very hard to resolve. Other than that I'd say differences are mostly in UI.

a day ago

That's a pretty good discussion of the difference and nice to know. Will link this thread so people can decide which makes more sense for them.

I'm wondering: Is there a specific library you're using for the GUIs or is it all hand-baked? :D

a day ago

Honestly, I would have preferred to have YARM auto-register sites but I was greatly concerned by the number of tracked entities. It's already quite inefficient in terms of show-time-usage numbers and adding indiscriminately would probably hurt even more. I haven't looked at your time usage yet, but I assume you're doing better in those terms already.

a day ago

Thank you! The GUI is entirely hand-baked (a notable reference point for me is the Space Exploration GUI), starting out very messy in the beginning. I think I've got most common UI issues tackled, but multiplayer introduces all sorts of challenges to game state and I just haven't found the time to recreate some of the stranger bugs. Outside of modding I prefer backend dev over UI any day, but it's a fun challenge. To be honest, after FFF 426 I expected all resource managers to ascend into vanilla so I'm just now starting to work on improvements again.

New response