Graphite & Diamonds

by brevven

Adds elemental carbon items to the game, including graphite, diamonds, graphene, and optionally fullerenes, nanotubes, etc. Compatible with Krastorio 2, Space Exploration, and more. A standalone piece of BZ Mods

Content
2 months ago
Mining Manufacturing

g Coal to Graphite?

1 year, 8 months ago

I'm finding that I need way more graphite than I expected playing K2+ SE - it's an ingredient in more key recipes than even copper, though total copper use is still higher.

Rather than removing it from recipes, instead I'd suggest is a coal->graphite conversion process. This is both realistic and uses up a resource that is pretty under-used - unless someone is powering their base off of it - and converts it to something that seems overused.

1 year, 8 months ago

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.

I'd been holding off on making this type of graphite synthesis a core piece of the mod, because the primary source of graphite from hydrocarbons is from petcoke -- coke made from cracking during oil refining. I was hoping to eventually make petcoke a proper intermediate. What's cool is that petcoke can be made to make <ahem> synthetic natural gas. So it ties in with that mod as well.

I'll re-examine this and see if I can make it work. If it's not something I can do soon, I'll add in an option for making graphite from normal coke or coal, similar to what happens if you turn of flake graphite ore.

1 year, 8 months ago

Ok - well definitely consider it. I'm just going to do space science now and I'm consuming far more graphite than anything else - a full red belt (30/s), vs about 1 and 1/3 of copper (20/s), the next closest. The flake graphite to graphite process being more productive does counterbalance this at the moment, but this is going to be more of a problem deeper into the mod, because there's no pyroflux version of graphene, and graphene production is a one-stage process for productivity module purposes, where as other resources are one stage. Further core mining yield is not as high as other 'primary' resources.

1 year, 8 months ago

Or maybe just enable the diamond recovery for LDS by default? I'm turning that on and diamond patches.

1 year, 5 months ago

Has there been any progress in this? I too am having trouble mining enough graphite to keep my factory running. I use an insane amount of graphite compared to other resources.

New response