Bob's Power

Adds new power structures.

Content
2 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Power

g Pumped-Water Accumulator

4 years ago

I'm just starting out with Bob (and Angel) and I'm at the point where I can make solar panels but not accumulators (no battery capacity). I like to have a small solar array powering the inserters to my steam plant so that a failure is only temporary -- the boiler inserters are still operational and will add fuel as soon as it finally makes its way.

What about a mechanical accumulator like a water-tower? Attach it to a water supply and it fills/discharges as necessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-storage_hydroelectricity

-- Brian

3 years ago

Just wondering if there were any thoughts about this?

3 years ago

Personally, I use burner inserters to fuel boilers. They just steal a tiny amount of fuel as they feed boilers, and similarly, can never go offline as long as the supply of fuel continues.

As for other methods of storage, I'm the wrong person to ask, anything that strays from default game behaviour is scripting, and anything that does that with an entity means keeping track of all entities of that type in existence yourself in the script, which is laggy.

Since there were other mods at the time that did scripting based things like that, and they WERE laggy, Bob's mods made a promise to never do that. All bob's mods that do use scripts are usually user activated scripts, something that requires the player to press a button. The only exception to that is the clock, and it has been optimised so many times... it's effectively been re-written at least 3 times.

There are actually other ideas of storing power out there, many people just put a storage tank between the boilers and steam engines and store the steam, so if you ever run low on fuel, it just uses stored steam. Actually, since a nuclear reactor doesn't turn off once you put fuel in, this is an almost essential thing to do if you want fuel efficiency. You basically wire up a system where you only put a fuel cell in if the other inserter is pulling one out, but also only pull one out, if the steam in the storage tank is lower than a certain level.

The other thing to consider though, is I'm not good with graphics, most custom graphics in this mod are done by other people. Adding something that would require graphics is unlikely to get them. I've made several new things for my mods that haven't been released yet because I don't have the graphics.

3 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I never thought about just using a burner-inserter. I didn't know until recently that they'll fill themselves first so probably just had thought-momentum that kept me from looking backward.

New response