Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Smelt extra ores into plates, and make useful intermediate products. A key part of the Bob's mods suite.

Content
2 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Manufacturing

i Fluorine chemistry

3 years ago

This kinda got started when I was thinking about Uranium processing, and how it's ultimately a pretty simple process in the game, considering how late it comes, and how complicated nuclear power is in reality. So I went on a bit of a wiki dive, and a few hours later managed to come up with a few things. Like so:

https://imgur.com/a/VudjOuI

Since I only play with Bob's mods, and since most of the non-Fluorine items are already in this set of mods, I thought I might suggest my findings here. Though I'm kind of tempted to try my hand at making my own small add-on, with permission.

The ore would of course be fluorite, which is either dark green or pinkish, or a variety of different colors, so it's got options to make it look different from any of the other ores. I didn't mark it on the chart, but fluorite is sometimes used to make glass for night vision systems. Could be useful for that equipment, or for optical sensors on some sort of robot. I had the thought initially that the calcium part of fluorite could be used as another alternative source of calcium chloride, but the chemistry didn't really work out, I couldn't think of a use for gypsum, and quartz has plenty of uses already. Probably better to just ignore it.

Other than that, it seems to me that Fluorine's usage is a bit different than any other the other. Tungsten is the only other ore that gets turned into a fluid, but it just turns right back to a solid through a couple steps. Fluorine, as I see it, has a lot more to do with pipework. It plays a key role in a more involved nuclear fuel cycle, which was what I was originally looking for (and I like that nitric acid is another step, since it seems underutilized). And I think adding it to the Aluminum cycle could make that element not quite so arduous.

Anyway, that's just the product of having too much free time. If you've read this far, thanks for indulging me.

3 years ago

I think Uranium feels so simple, mostly because I haven't overhauled it.

As for Flourine, it's something I decided quite a while ago NOT to use. Let me go into the history of the mods a little.

One of the first things I started to add as "Complex" production chains were metal processing recipes, including Tungsten, Titanium and Aluminium. Aluminium was supposed to be a lower technology level than Tungsten and Titanium, so I wanted it to be a little more simple to process. It turns out that Titanium is actually the simplest to process, and Aluminium more complex.
I did mostly keep the complexity of Aluminium in there, but there's one key component of the process missing... You're supposed to dissolve Alumina (Aluminium oxide) in Molten Florine, and then Electrolyse the solution.
This would have meant adding Florine to the list of already a significant amount of new resources to the game, Just for processing aluminium, a process

that was supposed to be fairly simple in the mod. I decided from this quite early point in the development, No florine!

I'm not saying that you've come up with a bad idea, I've actually added materials that play a smaller part than Florine would if added now, EG to make the Lithium batteries, I added Lithia water AND Cobalt. Cobalt definitely plays a much larger role in my mods now, and I'm fairly sure Lithia is used for more than just batteries, but, at the moment... Well, there are other mods that add florine, and although I'm not familier with them, Angels and Clowns mods come to mind.

If you want to write a mod that adds Florine to bob's mods, Go for it!

That chart does look pretty complex though. If I ever get the feeling to do another Bob overhaul, I'll probably consider it, it does look like there's some interesting chemical processes in there, and you have really thought it through.

Also, I dig the comment about Chemical Furnace lacking an output pipe. I've come up with several recipes where my first instinct is "Looks like a job for the chemical furnace!... if only it had an output pipe..." Think of this as the difference between them. The chemical furnace is a facility where you heat a solid to become a liquid, and bubble a gas through it... or just add a liquid to a solid as you heat it up, so the output result (after cooling) should be a solid. The chemical plant on the other hand takes fluids from the start, so the product should be a fluid. I know this isn't always the case, like Batteries, or even solid fuel, but as a general rule those also make sense in a chemical plant rather than an assembling machine.

3 years ago

Thank you very much for the response. I see your reasoning with the technology levels. I would suggest, though, that there could be multiple ways to produce aluminum. For sure, it wouldn't be great to have players go get a resource, bauxite, and then immediately force them to set up processing for another resource, fluorite, just to be able to process the first one. So, maybe it would work to have the Bayer process, which you currently use, as the initial processing method, and give the option to switch to the Hall-Heroult process that I suggested later. It wouldn't be unique to do this. Oil processing requires this sort of retool, and it's a very good idea to do the same thing with lead in order to get sulfur dioxide out of it. I feel like a more efficient late-game recipe for aluminum would be helpful, considering how demand for it skyrockets (so to speak) at that point, with all the low-density structures you need.

What I really love about modded Factorio is the way added complexity gives you options in how to approach the game. For example, nickel. Do you go for nickel early in order to get invar, or do you wait until you actually need it? Do you build a giant tree farm, or do you go to the significant added trouble of setting up fertilizer? Or use synthetic wood instead? Yeah, I think figuring that stuff out to your own tastes is a lot of fun.

As an aside about lithium, I once tried changing the recipe for lubricant to require lithium, while also adding a chlorine output to your lithium plate recipe. Lithium in lubricant is an actual thing, though it seems to be more for fat-based lubricants than petroleum-based ones, but... Moving right along, this change had some interesting effects. With a little circuit networking, it helped a lot to avoid gluts of sodium hydroxide at times when demand for chlorine was high. I set it up so that the excess lithium would go into extra battery production. This did add a lithium requirement to the logistic science pack, so I had to get lithia water earlier than I otherwise would have, but it didn't seem to be bad. Since the logistic science pack already required cobalt, afterwards it was a lot more convenient to get lithium battery production set up early, for upgraded lasers/plasma/robots. Anyway, that's just my little anecdote.

Thanks again for listening. I've been playing Factorio a little less often recently, but if I can find the time I think I will take a wack at putting this together. Along with a couple other ideas I had, like rubber-buffered walls that are immune to impacts, capsule-launching turrets, and so on.

3 years ago

On the note of capsule launching turrets. part of the reason why there's a robot seperate to robot capsule option in the warfare mod is so that they could be used in other recipes. I don't think I've actually used this so far, in fact the one weapon that does launch defender robots takes the capsule.

Something to be careful of. Most robots follow their creator. this is probably not a good thing for weapon launched robots(in fact is may crash the game), so you may need to make a copy of all the existing robots that don't follow their creator. (which is why only defenders are in my mod)
Simply changing the robot, before being used as a capsule ingredient, to an ammo instead of an item could work.

New response