Big Factories

by Jorn86

Inspired by WhistleStop Factories: Spawns massive furnaces and assembly machines around the map to make the game all about building trains to connect them. Supports buildings from Bob's and Angel's, including labs.

Content
4 years ago
0.17 - 0.18
Manufacturing

i Disable crafting small assemblers

3 years ago

I'm not sure if this Mod is still getting updates, but I have a request. I'd like a switch in the setup that makes it impossible to build any normal sized Assemblers. This would (optionally) force the player to use the big Factories. Ideally it would allow the player (during setup) to place restrictions on any of the different types of furnaces and assembly machines. For example, in this particular game, you can only make stone furnaces. In that game, you can make stone and Assembly Machine 1, but not 2 or 3 or electric furnaces.

3 years ago

It's an interesting idea, but hard to do well. The normal machines might be ingredients for other recipes, including the recipes to make your own Big Factories. You'd have to keep those, or replace the ingredients in other recipes. It'd also make the early game a lot harder, since a mall would be a lot harder to do.

I don't see this feature happening for this mod, but you could pretty easily do it yourself. Just disabling recipes isn't too difficult. Or, if you're just looking for a challenge, just don't build any small factories even though you could.

3 years ago

Upon further reflection, I can see this would cause huge production issues, unless you could automate changing the recipe for the Mega factory. I just started playing this mod, and for some reason I thought you can have more than one recipe per mega factory.

3 years ago

I do believe mods exist that can change an assembling machine's recipe. There are mods that, for example, can automatically place blueprints based on circuit conditions. But I've never used any, so I can't really say more.

3 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Do you know if there is a way to restrict the number of a specific item in game? If there was a max of say... 20 assemblers, you would still be able to use them at the beginning, but eventually you would need those to be going (just-in-time) to recipes and you would have to depend on the mega factory.

3 years ago

Preventing you from building beyond a certain number might be difficult, but simply having a mod script destroy entities is easy enough. You could go a lot further though: How about a Dangoreus-style map where you can build a small factory at your starting location, but then have to explore into territory where you cannot build to reach the big factories. The possibilities are endless!

3 years ago

That is a great idea! I know there is a mod that only lets you build on certain locations. This might be a modification of that idea. Interesting...

New response