Battery Powered

by harag

Provides several tiers of batteries that can be charged and used as fuel or to transport energy. The highest tiers require Space Exploration.

Content
9 months ago
Trains Power

i [1.1.0][Done] Align with K2 fuel settings

2 years ago

If this mod is enabled together with the SE space trains mod, the maglev locomotive can use batteries from both. I also use Krastorio 2. The power pack from space trains has a capacity of 50 MJ (optionally 100 MJ), requires 10 lithium-sulfur batteries to make, and doesn't have vehicle bonuses. The charged lithium-sulfur battery from this mod has a capacity of 40 MJ, only requires a single battery and grants acceleration and top speed bonuses. This makes the space train power pack seem redundant. Would it be possible to rebalance things so that the space train power pack would remain the top option for running maglev trains, with the tradeoff of requiring dedicated infrastructure and not being usable anywhere else?

2 years ago

The batteries are aligned with the fossil fuels. So in my opinion the battery packs are underpowered :-/

1 year, 11 months ago

Makes sense. Your comment about fossil fuels made me look more closely at them, and I was reminded that Krastorio 2 (with the recommended vehicle rebalancing option) heavily nerfs them in favor of "liquid" fuels (which are actually always packaged in canisters). Coal has 50% acceleration and 60% top speed while solid fuel has 75% for both. Rocket fuel provides no bonuses so it's the same as the basic fuel, just pollutes more. Advanced fuel, which comes somewhat later than lithium batteries, has 125% for both acceleration and top speed. Additionally, cars are limited to only using the fuel canisters.

Compared to this the batteries, particularly the basic battery, seems rather overpowered. It becomes available at practically the same time as fuel refining and is a flat out improvement to fuel (better bonuses and no pollution). Production is simpler too, given that batteries already need to be made for other purposes so all that's needed is the charging station. Fuel is somewhat annoying to make before advanced oil refining due to the need of hydrogen. So perhaps in this context the vehicle bonuses of the charged batteries should be nerfed too? As it is, the only fuel which can top the basic charged battery is advanced fuel. Charged lithium batteries are at about even footing with it, but again lithium batteries need to be made anyway, so producing advanced fuel seems a bit pointless.

I would maybe nerf the basic battery to around the level of solid fuel, with 70-80% in both stats. This would give K2's basic fuel a fighting chance. Maybe even lower to keep solid fuel a viable option for trains. If lithium batteries are nerfed to the level where basic batteries are now, then advanced fuel still has an edge at the cost of needing to be manufactured and producing pollution. Obviously these nerfs should only apply when K2 and its vehicle rebalancing option are enabled.

1 year, 10 months ago

I implemented a setting to adapt battery speed and acceleration values to K2 fuel settings. Normal batteries have them at roughly the same values as solid fuel, lithium batteries are around normal fuel (slightly slower but slightly better acceleration). Both already had considerably less stack sizes compared to fuel and thus less range. Holmium and naquium batteries still surpass advanced fuel as they are advanced technology.

New response