Attach Notes

Attach notes to combinators, entities... almost everything + Adds signposts. All notes are saved when you export a blueprint as a string (but you need the mod to read them).

Utilities
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

b Incompatibility with Picker Dollies #21

6 months ago
(updated 6 months ago)

Github bug #21 "Incompatibility with Picker Dollies" is critical. Picker Dollies are essential to combinator circuits, which is my main use case for this mod (for a lot of people i bet). That and all the other situations that cause orphaned icons that can't be deleted or touched, sadly make this mod unusable. There are several such situations i encountered in the first hour using it. At most of those sites, placing another entity there won't make the note accessible or deletable, no matter how many times or how many variations i've tried.
game v1.1.91 linux64. mod 0.5.1.
Note that i have the icon set to display by default, and is a small question mark version, and the title set to not displayed by default.
Very sad because this mod would be completely essential if it worked. There's no world in which this should not be in the base game!

6 months ago
(updated 6 months ago)

As a minimal workaround, we at least need a tool we can use to click on the orphaned icon or text in any grid square in the world to delete it.
Or better yet, open the note's GUI so we can cut the text out of it ourselves so it's not lost.
Or better yet, let the tool cut the entire note object (with title and settings etc) to the game's clipboard so it can be pasted where it's needed instead of being gone.
Or, make the inaccessible note eligible for the game's cut tool. At least then we could paste it where it needs to be.

6 months ago

Updating the contents of a blueprint is another activity that's essential to combinator circuits. They become a lot more hassle to play without updating. And updating is apparently totally incompatible with this otherwise excellent mod.

6 months ago

If you're playing using Picker Dollies and you fall into this trap, there's one workaround that seems to help a bit IF you realize what you've done in time to try it. Move the original entity back into its old position using dollies again. Then the note becomes accessible again. This won't work with any other entity, even another identical one of the same type. And it won't work if you've already added another note to the entity at its new position, or if you've added one there and then deleted it. So typically you must realize what you've done soon after doing it, before doing much more work. That's impractical on a good day, or impossible on a typical day.

New response