Artillery Bombardment Remote

Directs your artillery to bombard a selected area without having to target individual shots

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Combat

i Remote to auto-reveal map

5 years ago

I am using artillery instead of radars to reveal the remote areas of the map. This requires quite a lot of clicking. I am wondering whether this is something that you would consider implementing? Possibly a third remote?

At first I thought that a simple algorithm like this would do the job:
1. for each artillery find all the farthest chunks it can fire at and collect them all to a set
2. for each chunk collected, if it is not revealed and doesn't have artillery flare, place artillery flare at that chunk
But then I realised that this might still leave a lot of gaps, especially when a chunk can be fired at from multiple artilleries.

Another idea, possibly the simplest to implement, would be to fire once at every undiscovered chunk. A lot of ammo wasted, but in the end-game it doesn't matter that much. Very convenient to use (single click) and everything within range discovered, no gaps left.

Another idea, given that you are using marking areas already, would be to fire once per chunk within area selected. This maybe could be faked by just adjusting a distance between flares.

5 years ago

That's a great idea! I'll see what I can do :)

5 years ago

Went for the simple version to avoid performance pain for large maps, the upper tech level 'smart' remote will now shoot one shot at each unexplored chunk in the selection area. Let me know how it works for you!

5 years ago

It works .. but you can only perform the selection of an area at a certain zoom level .. when the map exposes the chunks and grid

5 years ago

Yeah.. unfortunately that's a limitation of the base game that I think I'll need to get the developer's help to work around.

5 years ago

Actually, there is a workaround.

You can create an item of "capsule" type, with capsule_action of type "artillery-remote". This type is not documented on the wiki, but this is how artillery targeting remote is done.

Benefits?
1. You can shoot from the map view, no requirement of zooming to world.
2. Turret coverage is shown on the map.

Have a look at my ZoomingReinvented mod - I have used it to make binoculars: https://github.com/Jarcionek/Factorio-Zooming-Reinvented/blob/master/src/data.lua

The tricky bit is that it needs to create an artillery flare, but you can create your own and configure it to disappear immediately and make artillery to not fire on it. And then knowing the position you can place regular flares yourself.

I am guessing that it will be possible to make that kind of remote configurable, so that the player could right click it and define radius (similarly to how your two remotes allow some configuration).

New response