Advanced Combinator

by zomis

Make combinators great again! One combinator to rule them all.

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Circuit network

i Instructions

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Reading through the description I see that a possible future upgrade would be a better GUI and more instructions. I fully support this. I like the concept as I think the built in combinators are lacking...flexible, but I don't want to have to set up multiple steps to make a simple comparison. Aside from the space it takes up, having to switch between combinators for each step makes the logic hard to follow. You combinator sounds like it will solve all that, but I'm having trouble using it. I think I have figured your current interface out but the last (first) time I tried to use it there were some fields and options for the function I was trying to do that I didn't fully understand and I also crashed it...not sure if they were related. (I did run into what appears to be an old issue which is I went back to an autosave point where the GUI happened to be opened, and I couldn't close it.) I'm going to give it a other shot, but was also wondering...is there Any kind of instruction set for it I'm just not finding right now let alone the better one you mentioned. Thanks

3 years ago

Hi. There's not so much instructions for this mod right now but I have been thinking about rewriting it and to make a much more intuitive GUI, but that would require quite a bit of work.

3 years ago

Thanks. I'll keep playing around with it and see where I can get on my own then. I'm assuming that is a Lua based command structure? If so that both explains why I'm having trouble (I don't know Lua...close to the stuff I know but some definite gaps) and gives me a place to look for some basic reference.

3 years ago

No, it's not actually very Lua-based. The available commands and "language" is something I've come up with myself.

If you manage to get the game to crash, please tell me what "code" for the commands you were using.

3 years ago

Will do. It was something to do with an If command, but that was maybe a week ago when that happened. I started playing with it some more today but so far hasn't crashed on me and I keep getting called away to other stuff so even that hasn't been much yet.

3 years ago

The crashes are being caused by syntax errors in the commands. And I can 99.9% guarantee they are my fault for trying to manually edit them to remove sections which seemed extraneous to what I was trying to do. (You did warn not to manual edit unless you knew what you were doing...thought I had followed things correctly, but apparently not.)

I think you have something here, and someone agrees because I saw it recommended in several different spots...I'm just having trouble grasping the syntax. I can get it to do somethings, but not others along with getting some unexpected results. I just set up a stack that compares the values of a signal on a specific color wire to a constant. It does this twice, once for a signal on each wire color. The combinator output is connected to a pair of lamps, one for each comparison. The actual comparisons seem to work, but the "second" output overrides the 1st so even when both conditions are true, I only get one output signal. I'm pretty sure this is just another "I'm using it wrong" situation...in all honesty, the final configuration would be one more step to compare the results of the 1st 2 steps. Trying to have one combinator do 2 separate thing was never what I had intended to try and do with it.

Getting back to just needing to learn the syntax you've used...it would look like the test scenario I've been trying to set up should be able to be done on one line the way I'm reading the available syntax options, but so far haven't gotten it to work that way. (This is actually where I have been manually making edits and crashing things.) Even on mulitple lines, having it all in one combinator instead of multiples, and the additional functions you've provided like being able to look at signals from specific wires is a huge improvement from vanilla though and I'll take it.

3 years ago

Thank you for your feedback, I have just released version 0.18.1 which should hopefully fix some of the issues that you have encountered!

If you are having problems getting some things to work with the mod, I might be able to give you some assistance on how to use the different commands.

New response