Merging Chests

by Atria

Enables merging of multiple chests into one entity. Supports merging of arbitrary number of chests (configurable in mod settings). Version 5.0.0 introduced potentially breaking changes for old saves. If your have chests larger than 42 don't update to 5.0.0.

Content
a month ago
0.13 - 1.1
Storage

g Curious about UPS Considerations

2 years ago

Hello,

I am curious how this mod would affect UPS and how to avoid the worst of the effects. You mention giant chests potentially messing with RAM and load time, why is that? Does it have to do with the chests having a massive inventory size? Does it have to do with how many chests are merged? Finally, what's the most UPS efficient way to use this mod?

Thanks in advance,

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hi, the memory requirements are high just because once you allow maximum of the chests to be 100x100 the game needs to create prototypes for all chests which are smaller or equal, in each dimention. The memory requirement increases by factor of 4th power based on chest dimention. That's why there is so much mod setting regarding maximum chest size and even whitelist of dimentions.

Inventory size is not that problematic, because all those inventory spaces would still have to be prepared in game if those chests wouldn't be merged. And UPS impact of the mod is same as any other entity played in the world, very small.

2 years ago

Oh I see. So it's about tons and tons of prototypes. So if I set the maximum of chests to just be like, everything through 8x8, it's not going to cost much memory?

And then if I reduce inventory of chests even further, with that limitation, will it save some UPS? I just know I've heard of players using tons of warehouses (from angels) and that slowing down the game due to so many empty inventory spaces on things.

2 years ago

The default limits 42/42/1600 should be ok unless you really struggle for memory.

Yes, less inventory space, less UPS drop because game doesn't have to search that many slots when putting things in/out. Most people using this mod is for balancing, so they can lower the limit all the way down to 20, if they want. I'd say 100 is good place of still having lot of space without it crippling the game.

New response