Merging Chests

by Atria

Enables merging of multiple chests into one entity. Supports merging of arbitrary number of chests (configurable in mod settings). Version 5.0.0 introduced potentially breaking changes for old saves. If your have chests larger than 42 don't update to 5.0.0.

Content
a month ago
0.13 - 1.1
Storage

i Use 1.1 linked chests for optimization

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

See this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/k171x6/11_adds_a_new_linked_chest_only_available_in_the

Rseding specifically says it was added for mods, and it sounds perfect for this mod to use. I'm not much of a modder, nor do I know if you've already considered this, so apologies if it isn't possible.

3 years ago

No, I wasn't aware of this, but I don't think linked chests would be useful for this mod. It looks more suited for Factorissimo or Clusterio.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Ah, okay. I was thinking it could somehow optimize the way the chests merge and share the same inventory while still being an arbitrary size. Thank you for the quick response!

3 years ago

I think the linked chests work by sharing one inventory in the backend, which merged chests already do anyway, since they are a single entity.

There is not much to do if I would like to use the linked chests, since they would basically totally replace this mod, while being super cheaty.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I found a mod that's similar to what I meant: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SchallAutolinkedChest

It wouldn't feel as cheaty to use linked chests to be honest, probably less so, since it's built into the game now. I'll stop bothering you about this, though, as it's completely your decision.

3 years ago

It is just slightly different mod. Enables any arbiterary share of chests to be linked. Not quite as cheaty as I first thought.

The bottom line it that mod for this already exists, so there is no benefit of duplicating it. But thanks for the info, I didn't know about this feature in 1.1 at all.

2 years ago

Linked chests don't allow to read their content.

New response