Merging Chests

by Atria

Enables merging of multiple chests into one entity. Supports merging of arbitrary number of chests (configurable in mod settings). Version 5.0.0 introduced potentially breaking changes for old saves. If your have chests larger than 42 don't update to 5.0.0.

Content
a month ago
0.13 - 1.1
Storage

i chest type mod settings

4 years ago

Is there a way to do away with the chest type mod settings and just allow the user to use any set of chests of the same type without having to change the mod setting everytime the user wants to change the type of chest? Seems like an unnecessary chore/step. If it's a problem with mixed chests in the code it would be a lot better IMO that an exception is thrown and the user is notified in game that they can't use mixed chest type sets.

Thanks

4 years ago

Install mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WideChestsAllTypes . It will allow merging of any chests of same type together (still no merging of mixed types). Beware, it will increase a memory requirement of this mod.

4 years ago

interesting. I guess the increases are pretty significant if they are called out. Thanks for the link

4 years ago

"pretty significant" ... you probably can say that when it goes into gigabytes and terrabytes of required ram :-)
see https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WideChests/discussion/5bd1843e3a16b1000d717e8e
where examples are given: N=42 (default) => 62MB, N=100 => 2GB, N=256 => 85GB, N=1000 => 20TB

4 years ago

ouch. I guess it's not trivial to change the code base to make it more scalable.

4 years ago

There is something that could be done but it's only delaying the problem. Better question is if you really need the all of the 1000x1000, 1000x999, 999x1000, 1000x998, 998x1000, ... chests (all the way to the 1x1).

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I don't. Just all chest types of 1xn where n<100. Only see the benefit of this mod for modded train stations where you want something compact but there are more than a couple types of products being loaded or unloaded. Other cases are either quite corner/obscure of there is something else, mostly in vanilla, that works just fine.

4 years ago

You can use whitelist mod setting to specify just 1xN and limit width/height/area to 100 and mod will use really small amount of memory.

4 years ago

that sounds great!

New response