Merging Chests

by Atria

Enables merging of multiple chests into one entity. Supports merging of arbitrary number of chests (configurable in mod settings). Version 5.0.0 introduced potentially breaking changes for old saves. If your have chests larger than 42 don't update to 5.0.0.

Content
a month ago
0.13 - 1.1
Storage

g Max Range for Trashdump

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi Atria,

At the first time I used the Shift+C feature I was really expecting that the trash would be disposed to the closest Trashdump. Instead, it got disposed to many surrounding machines within my reach. Could we have a shortcut for disposing items only to trashdump and another separate shortcut for evenly distributing the thrashed items to the surrounding machines? Or maybe define a maximum range for trashdumping?

I use other mods which increase the reach of my character. Such mods are quite common in Factorio, and I don't know if they have any impact on your mod. If they do, it's quite hard to get out of the range of the factories to which I don't want to dispose the trashed items...

PS: I also just wanted to say congratulations, your mod is simply excellent! For me it's an essential mod for this game, especially because of all that options you provided to the players for customizing and balancing it correctly, so it doesn't get overpowered. It is in my opinion an excellent replacement for all other warehousing mods.

4 years ago

I don't know a Shift+C hotkey from vanilla. Isn't is from some mod? Trashdumps (and all other merged chests) work as normal steel chests. If this mod enables you to move trash items to nearby chests, it should work with merged chests unless the mod only filteres for specific list of chests names.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Ok, I'm really sorry for the mistake, the Shift+C was from the mod "Even Distribution". Somehow I saw a close relation with your mod, which creates Trashdumps. The functionality I'm talking about is just a quick way to dispose unwanted items from the player's inventory to local entities. This is quite tricky to set up, and the only mod which I still consider "OK" is Even Distribution.

Anyway, your mod doesn't have anything to do with this, so sorry about it... In the other hand, if you are up to the challenge, since you are already creating "Trashdumps", it would be a very nice feature to have a hotkey for allowing the player to drop what is in his trash slots to nearby Trashdumps. A Research would be required to enable trash slots in early game, but that's all. I don't know if it is possible, but Trashdumps could even have something like 20-slots filters to define which items are accepted when a nearby player drops his items.

Actually, so much stuff in Factorio ends up turning into trash when one uses many mods: old weapons, items dropped by biters in certain mods, wood, copper wire, and many intermediate products in mods like Bob's which end up in the players inventory when rebuilding the belts of your factory.

Few mods really care about disposal of unwanted items, and eventually even the destruction of unwanted/excess items/fluids. Depending on how far you intend to go with your mod, it could be not only a flexible storage solution, but also a great tool for disposal of unwanted items and for destroying unwanted items and fluids. I like "Flare Stack" mod's graphics for example, but it is not configurable at all: when it is finally available in the in-game tech tree, it is already useless. "Void Chest" and "Void Pipe" mods do their job very well, but they end up being a little bit "too magical" in comparison with Flare Stack in my opinion (e.g. there is no penalty for destroying items, like: pollution, energy consumption, etc). Bob's "gas vent" just gets rid of gases, so it is not a complete solution at all.

4 years ago

Ah, ok. I'm sorry but I won't be implementing something like this in this mod. The Even distributing should still work with trashdumps, but it probably checks for distance to center of the nearby chest so maybe for it to dump items into trashdumps you will need to stand close to it.

New response