Merging Chests

by Atria

Enables merging of multiple chests into one entity. Supports merging of arbitrary number of chests (configurable in mod settings). Version 5.0.0 introduced potentially breaking changes for old saves. If your have chests larger than 42 don't update to 5.0.0.

Content
a month ago
0.13 - 1.1
Storage

i Make chest rotatable

6 years ago

I really like this mod, but it was has one minor issue. I can't really blueprint it, since once I have created the blueprint I can no longer rotate it properly.

Could you add the ability to rotate them by 90 degree?

Splitters have mismatching sizes as well and they are also rotateable.

6 years ago

I tried that a long time ago. I don't think it's possible to rotate container entity. I will look if it changed since last year.

6 years ago

I had the same issue trying to rotate blueprints. However, a workaround I found was to make a blueprint with the chests not merged and take a blueprint from that. This will then allow the blueprint to be rotated in all four directions, and I can re-merge them once it is built from the blueprint. Another workaround for me was to take them out of the blueprint and have the merged chest as horizontal and horizontal where I then use the orientation I need after placing the primary blueprint without the chests on it.

Agree it is a great mod, and the ability to rotate would be nice to have if possible.

5 years ago

Are containers rotatable now or is it still not possible?

PS: Thanks for your mod.

4 years ago

any news on this? Mod is amazing, but keeping each blueprint in two sets - horizontal and vertical is annoying

4 years ago

None, developers only have one tile chests so they don't want to make them rotatable.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

IDEA:
add a custom rotate key (and an another one to reverse rotation) - on key - recreate (replace) a blueprint in hands with rotated elements and rotated merged chests.

2 years ago

I can't find such functionality in Factorio API. Do you know of some other mod which can modify blueprints?

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BlueprintTools
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Kux-BlueprintExtensions
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PickerBlueprinter
Their "blueprint rotate" - different than default (try to add snap grid and test with their rotate option - they modify the blueprint in hands)
also, Kux's "rotate in place" is an another third option and different from default and other blueprint rotations.

PS. All options are available for a blueprint in inventory, not in a blueprints collection

2 years ago

Thanks, I'll look into it

2 years ago

any news? At least - is it possible, and will it be fixed in the future?

2 years ago

Looks possible, I just have to be careful to check if some entities don't break when they are rotated in the blueprint

2 years ago

Nice this has been added, found a bug though with mini-loaders. Their rotation is getting messed up.

2 years ago

Unfortunatelly some mod compatibility issues were definitely going to arise. Can you link the mini-loaders mod? I'll put it on the TODO list.

2 years ago

Ran into this issue too now. Very annoying since i cannot use wide chests in blueprint now because i cannot rotate my blueprints with wide chests.

1 year, 4 months ago

Did this feature ever get implemented? Discussion sounds like yes, but it my blueprint only rotates 180.

1 year, 4 months ago
(updated 1 year, 4 months ago)

There is a key binding to rotate blueprint which has merged chests by 90 degrees. But I don't even remember implementing it so I'd be careful. I don't know if stuff like station names, tiles, vehicles and their fuel work correctly.

But it is still not possible to rotate placed chests.

1 year, 4 months ago

I did try the key binding, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Did you just implement the hotkey and not the functionality? :P

Edit: Yes, referring to blueprints, not placed chests.

1 year, 4 months ago

I just tried it and it definitely works. Both clockwise and counterclockwise. You have to have the blueprint (or Ctrl+C or any other selection) in cursor.

1 year, 4 months ago

From what I can see the key sequences are not set by default

data:extend(
{
    {
        type = "custom-input",
        name = "WideChests_rotate-blueprint-clockwise",
        key_sequence = ""
    },
    {
        type = "custom-input",
        name = "WideChests_rotate-blueprint-couterclockwise",
        key_sequence = ""
    }
})

You need to go into Settings -> Controls and find the "Merged Chest" section then set them yourself.

1 year, 4 months ago

Huh. Ok, for anybody else who runs into this issue in future: Rotate blueprints seems to work only if the blueprint is in your inventory. Trying to rotate a blueprint you're using directly from the blueprints library doesn't work.

Thanks for the help Atria! :)

New response