Whistle Stop Factories

Spawns massive furnaces and assembly machines around the map to make the game all about building trains to connect them

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Manufacturing

i Big Beacon

3 years ago

could you make a mod of the huge beacon around the world?

to promote distant factory building.

3 years ago

For that kind of distant factories, I would think this kind of thing would be better suited: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/building-platform

You're only allowed to build on special platforms that spawn randomly around the map. Unfortunately that mod hasn't been updated since 0.17.

3 years ago

is definitely interesting
and I remember the mod
but restricts building a lot

With the size beacon you still have the freedom to build anywhere.
but in the mid and late game you look for the beacon to use the enormous advantage of the aura.

(the normal beacon are deactivated)

3 years ago

Alright, I can't guarantee anything because this is a fair bit of work you're asking me, but here are a few questions

1. Any suggestions for a mod name? My first idea is "A wild beacon has appeared", but maybe that is too cumbersome.
  2. Would the beacons need power? I could turn off power the power requirement or even make it run on coal. If it requires power, how many times more than a regular beacon?
  3. How many modules would fit into the beacons?
  4. I assume allowable effects would remain the same (only speed, pollution, and consumption)
  5. What distribution efficiency should I use? It is by default set to 50% (you get half of the effect as putting the module directly into the machine). We could do something like 10% but allow for a lot of slots to make them expensive to fill up with modules. Which could make sense because it supplies a lot of machines. Or we could leave this as is.
  6. And for the big question: How big should they be? And how much farther around them should the boosting radius extend? We could do something tricky like having a radius of 1 tile outside the machine, so only machines actually touching it would get boosted, but given its large size, that might still be a fair bit to work with.

I could make some of these configurable (but would still need default values) and could certainly change any of these later.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

More thoughts: Since you're only going to be allowed to be in range of a single machine, maybe we should make its max boost comparable to about 8-12 beacons?

If we make its max performance too powerful we'll start running into game limits where machines will be maxed out at 1 operation per tick. Note that this won't break anything, it'll just mean that people might get it 80% filled with modules and not see any more benefit from filling it up all the way if their machines are already going at max speed. This is why Whistle Stop has the 50x recipes, but I don't think we should be throwing that kind of power into this mod.

3 years ago

I should definitely come online more often.

to 1.
Unfortunately, I cannot serve with the word spilarier because I translate everything from German with the google translator.
"Some big wild beacons, find them and they will help you"
(if that's not too long)

to 2.
I would test a power consumption comparable to 10 small beacons.

to 3.
good question. but no comment ~ 13
Another good question is: should the players be able to end the modules,
or pretend random effects.

to 4.
yes, I would orientate myself towards vanilla.

to 5.
I think this is the most important thing that mine should keep balanced over time.

But lots of slots for expensive modules is a nice approach.

to 6.
I find a boosting radius of 1m funny.
but a boosting radius of ~ 24m so that the length of a melt is realistic.
the building fell 9 * 9m.

to "7".
I would test a boost comparable to 10 small beacons.

1m = 1 tile

New response