Water Turret

by Pi-C

This mod provides an early game Water thrower that does minimal damage but slows down the enemies (use steam for extra damage!) and an advanced turret for extinguishing fires (use "Hardened pipes" to give it extra resistances!).

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Combat

b Water Turret not using steam?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

So I have steam being pumped into my water turrets and its showing the fuel symbol because it has nothing to use. The turrets will react to the enemy nearby, but will not shoot any steam. I'm using Pollution Solutions and Endgame Combat alongside this mod, is that what could be causing some type of incompatibility?

3 years ago

Thanks for the report! No idea if the two mods you mentioned have anything to do with that. I'll look into that over the weekend (still at work right now). But could you provide a save game? Makes it easier to reproduce what exactly happened because I'd also have the same mod settings as you …

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

3 years ago

Thanks, but … dropbox.com/home? Is that really a public download link?

3 years ago

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nj262gszba8sh9b/Everyone.zip?dl=0 Sorry about that, should work now with this one.

3 years ago

Thanks, I've got the file! Syncing the mods now …

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

You know what? These aren't my water turrets! I'll let you in on a little secret: My water turrets don't shoot steam, only steam turrets do. Steam turrets are disguised as water turrets, though, and can't be built directly. You build a water turret, and if you connect it to steam, it gets silently replaced with a steam turret. But Endgame Combat messes with the prototypes. Apparently, it adds other versions that are used when certain technologies are researched. (I haven't looked at the code yet, just at the results.) So, the turrets you are complaining about are now named "WT-water-turret-rangeboost-2", while my mod looks for turrets named "WT-water-turret" when it checks if a turret using water should be swapped against one using steam. These tests fail because of the unexpected name, so the turrets are never exchanged and won't accept the steam.

So, the root of your problems is that you're using Endgame Combat. I'll check it now, perhaps it provides a way to blacklist my turrets so they won't be changed by EC. However, this would mean that none of my turrets will get any boosts from EC's technologies. It may be possible to fix that, but I guess it would involve a major overhaul of my scripts, and possibly some collaboration with the author of Endgame Combat. So, fixing this may take some time. Anyway, thanks for the report again! It has opened my eyes to problems that I'd never thought of before. :-)

3 years ago

Nice side effect: With Endgame Combat enabled and techs researched, the turrets won't waste UPS on fighting fire and acid anymore! :-(

3 years ago

Alright well thanks for the info, at least I know its not me doing something wrong. Ill just use them as proper water turrets for now.

3 years ago

That should work for now. Summary for everybody playing with Endgame Combat:

• You can use water turrets (with water/steam) and extinguisher turrets (with special fluid/water) if you haven't researched the rangeboost technology.
  • Only water turrets (with water) will work after the range boost research.
  • Don't use extinguisher turrets after you've completed the first range boost research! Even when they are hooked up to the correct fluid, they will ignore fires (but may attack biters).

I've already fixed the target masks for 1.0.4 (so extinguisher turrets will work again), the rest is a bit more complicated. But fixing this for Endgame Combat should make it easy to allow other mods to add new variants of the turrets from this mod.

New response