Water Turret

by Pi-C

This mod provides an early game Water thrower that does minimal damage but slows down the enemies (use steam for extra damage!) and an advanced turret for extinguishing fires (use "Hardened pipes" to give it extra resistances!).

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Combat

g [Implemented] Rampant

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi,

I was recently using this mod with Rampant + Natural Evolution Enemies, and I feel like the level 1 enemies are already so fast for this turret, that it barely works against them. And it is indeed an excellent complement to these mods, because enemies are brutal, and your mod feels like a non-overpowered long-range early game weapon.

Could we get some options to tweak the turret ourselves according to our mod setup? Something like water pressure/speed, damage inflicted, max range, enemy slow-down factor, etc...

Thanks a lot for providing this mod, it was simply a great idea of yours!

4 years ago

Hi!

Could we get some options to tweak the turret ourselves according to our mod setup? Something like water pressure/speed, damage inflicted, max range, enemy slow-down factor, etc...

I'll think about it, the mod may need some tweaking for performance improvement anyway. But it will take me a while.
I didn't hear any news from the Bio Industries front yet (which is actually good news, because I spent almost every day last week fixing new bugs there), but I wanted to work on the NE mods next. Guess I'll squeeze this in between NE Buildings and NE Enemies …

Thanks a lot for providing this mod, it was simply a great idea of yours!

Credit for the idea goes to DellAquila, I just made the last updates after he transferred ownership to me. Anyway, glad you like the mod, thanks for the compliment! :-)

3 years ago

+this

3 years ago

Water pressure/speed? Not sure how to set this, but if possible, I could add this. Enemy slow-down factor is possible. I'm very reluctant about inflicted damage and max range, though!

For version 1.0.0, I already have restored the setting to make spawners and worms immune to water and steam damage (it won't depend on scripting, but is defined in the prototypes). There's also a setting to allow water turrets that use water to prioritize fires over enemies or vice versa; as this requires scripted targetting, this will be disabled by default, so the game will automatically choose a target, thus saving on UPS.

Delegating as much as possible to the main game and saving UPS is the main thing for the 1.0 release. Allowing players to change the range of turrets would contradict this because turrets that are looking for fires will have to search an area on the surface that will increase with range. Also, the probability that more fires are found (and have to be managed by the mod) if auto-targetting is off will increase with growing range. This could be a performance issue if many water turrets are used.

I'm against changing the inflicted damage because that would throw everything off-balance for now. I use dummies to mark fires. They have just 2HP, but given the minimal damage that water turrets cause, it still takes 300-400 ticks to put out one fire (which is too much, I think). But if the damage was raised just a little bit, the time needed to extinguish a fire would sink to almost nothing. There may be other ways, though (e.g. increasing max_health of the fire dummies proportional to the inflicted damage, or making enemy entities more vulnerable to damage from water and steam). I'll have to think about it, perhaps it is possible after all. :-)

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Yeah, i do believe it is indeed a complex task, but we believe in your engineering skills to solve the complex mechanics behind it ;-)

When I mentioned pressure/speed, it was because the water takes a long time to reach longer distances. For some rampant enemy settings, the turret can barely hit the enemies due to their high speed...

Regarding performance, I believe this is a judgement the players must do by themselves when adjusting the range, so don't worry about it. You could suggest a max range, and alert about possible performance issues for higher ranges, but ultimately it is up to the player to decide how he/she will configure the mod and use it. Some people have old CPUs, other have top ones, and as time goes by, better computers will become available. People building megabases are also a very special and small niche, and many of them simply disable enemy settings.

3 years ago

Yeah, i do believe it is indeed a complex task, but we believe in your engineering skills to solve the complex mechanics behind it ;-)

Thanks for your confidence! :-D

When I mentioned pressure/speed, it was because the water takes a long time to reach longer distances. For some rampant enemy settings, the turret can barely hit the enemies due to their high speed...

I wonder if this could be achieved by increasing animation speed of the stream. Need to investigate …

Regarding performance, I believe this is a judgement the players must do by themselves when adjusting the range, so don't worry about it. You could suggest a max range, and alert about possible performance issues for higher ranges, but ultimately it is up to the player to decide how he/she will configure the mod and use it. Some people have old CPUs, other have top ones, and as time goes by, better computers will become available. People building megabases are also a very special and small niche, and many of them simply disable enemy settings.

Somebody mentioned issues with about 300 turrets -- I think this number is not uncommon for even an average base (the turrets are available almost from the beginning, turrets are usually built in clusters so they can protect each other; put a perimeter defense around the main base and outposts, and you'll approach this number sooner than you'd expect. But I guess with a proper warning, leaving the decision to players would be OK. :-)

3 years ago

Please try out version 1.0.0! :-)

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Cool, look at all those new settings, you are the best! Thanks a lot for that. This mod is a must when playing against hardcore enemies.

New response