Water Turret

by Pi-C

This mod provides an early game Water thrower that does minimal damage but slows down the enemies (use steam for extra damage!) and an advanced turret for extinguishing fires (use "Hardened pipes" to give it extra resistances!).

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Combat

i [Pending] recipe and techtree/ amator phasmas coal and steam

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

would it be possible to refit the recipe for amator phasmas coal and steam?
as it needs the standart offshorepump in the recipe i could reach it only on "electrification", past the steam age.
the water turret is one of the greatest mod for defense and woud be well fitting the amato phasma steam and coal mod pack.
(and if possible a fitting position in the early techtree of the mod pack would be nice)

4 years ago

I'll look into this, but it may take me a while as RL work and other mods take up a lot of my time right now. As I haven't played with amator phasmas' mods yet, do you have any specific suggestions what I should exchange the offshore pump for and what technology should unlock the recipe (currently, I think you don't even have to research it -- not on my modding computer right now, so I can't check). It would be easier (and I could implement this much sooner) if I didn't have to familiarize myself with yet another mod.

4 years ago

the water turret in vanilla is unlocked right away without research.

for A.P. coal an steam it would be great to place it after "Fluid control 1" + "military"
(the modpack has two new science packs [Industrial science pack and Steam science pack] fluid control 1 and military are researchable with the "Industrial science pack" as the water turret should be too.

for the recipe:
8x Mechanical relay
12x Pipe
5x Gearing
1x Basic machine frame
(no pump at all as they're burnr ones at this stage anyway)
i hope this is enough information (am not a modder , please tell me if you need more information)

4 years ago

Thanks for your help! Adding this shouldn't be too hard. I'll try to get it done when I get back home, or sometime next week.

While we're at it: You probably know that Factorio has a normal and an expensive mode, so it would be nice to also have a normal and an expensive recipe. The easiest thing to do would be to use the same ingredients in both recipes, but just double the amounts in the expensive version. However, if you think it would be better to use more of one item and less of another, or to add an entirely new item to the expensive recipe, just says so! :-)

4 years ago

ok cool^^
just doubling them would not quite cut it i guess.... but using a slight different recipe for expensive should work.
10x Mechanical relay
18x Pipe
10x Gearing
6x Gears
1x Basic machine frame

(that should do it...but i'm not sure about a 5 pieces recipe [am not playing expenisive often])

4 years ago

the water turret in vanilla is unlocked right away without research.

for A.P. coal an steam it would be great to place it after "Fluid control 1" + "military"
(the modpack has two new science packs [Industrial science pack and Steam science pack] fluid control 1 and military are researchable with the "Industrial science pack" as the water turret should be too.

The "Industrial science pack" is available right from the start, so there's no technology to research it. I could add a new technology and set "Fluid control 1" + "military-science-pack" as prerequisite for the new tech.

Thinking some more about this, it would allow for a kind of tiering:

• Shoot just cold water -- could require "Fluid control 1" + "military-science-pack".
  • Use steam -- could require "Water supply 2" + "military-2".
  • Use hotter steam -- could require "Nuclear power" because only this will give you hotter steam.

It may interest you that I've already figured steam temperature into the damage calculation for the next version, so hotter steam will indeed cause more damage than the 165 °C steam you get from normal vanilla boilers. :-)

for the recipe:
8x Mechanical relay
12x Pipe
5x Gearing
1x Basic machine frame

That's already implemented. I haven't played in expensive mode yet, but I guess I'll use the expensive recipe you suggested. If it doesn't work out, somebody will complain for sure! :-D

It will still take me a while until I can upload the next version because I'm still working on the fire-extinguishing logic. But it will come eventually …

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

in AP coal and steam the tiering would come along naturaly as you have to research steam produktion anyway. so just researching just the turret would be enough i guess.
locking the hotter steam behind a research wall would be kinda the same case. (you can't produce it so you can't use it)
this way players could add mods that alter steam produktion (thermalsolar/geothermal[reika]/alternative steamproduktion mod) without having to worry about F***g up the tech tree or being able to produce that hotter steam earlier but can't use it in the turret. [a QoL players choice as you will]

(absolute awesome modding work ^^ fangirlscream)
[hav'nt played any further atm as i wait for the update ;P ]

[ps. the water the turret needs is vanilla right? (yeahi know it does ;p) with a.p.s.&c. you get seawater from the offshore pumps wich has to be filtered first to get normal water....please don't change that^^ it's only logical that dirty water can't be used otherwise the thowernozzle will be blocked]

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

in AP coal and steam the tiering would come along naturaly as you have to research steam produktion anyway. so just researching just the turret would be enough i guess.

OK, turrets it is then -- with APCS and without. Turrets are one of the earliest researches in vanilla, but without gun turrets to support them, your water turrets wouldn't last long anyway.

locking the hotter steam behind a research wall would be kinda the same case. (you can't produce it so you can't use it)
this way players could add mods that alter steam produktion (thermalsolar/geothermal[reika]/alternative steamproduktion mod) without having to worry about F***g up the tech tree or being able to produce that hotter steam earlier but can't use it in the turret. [a QoL players choice as you will]

Makes sense -- and is less work. :-)

(absolute awesome modding work ^^ fangirlscream)
[hav'nt played any further atm as i wait for the update ;P ]

Thanks! I'll try to get it done ASAP so you won't have to wait too long. :-)

[ps. the water the turret needs is vanilla right? (yeahi know it does ;p) with a.p.s.&c. you get seawater from the offshore pumps wich has to be filtered first to get normal water....please don't change that^^ it's only logical that dirty water can't be used otherwise the thowernozzle will be blocked]

I just love the requests not to do something -- there's no easier way to make people happy!

4 years ago

Sorry it took me so long, but the thing was more complicated than I imagined. Please try the version 0.18.2 -- feedback is very welcome! :-)

4 years ago

yeay ^^ and sry for responding a bit late...
the recipe change is great! on a second thought, the offshore pump for the vanilla recipe should be exchanged too. as some other mods (like aai industries) change those pumps too. i guess it would be better for a greater compatiblity in the long way.

the boiler steam temp in "APCS" starts at 120°c wich is with "final_damage = water_damage * steam_damage_modifier * (steam_temperature/165)"
- > final_damage = water_damage * steam_damage_modifier * ~0,7272 <-
a bit low....

4 years ago

I've to think a bit about replacing the pump. Also, I didn't consider that mods would use a steam temperature that's lower than the base temperature from vanilla.

Changing the factor from "steam_temperature/165" to "steam_temperature/120" would be a rather naive way to fix this: what if another mod comes with an even lower temperature? I think the best approach would be to check the temperature of every kind of steam that's known to the game (i.e. after all mods have been loaded), set the temperature with the lowest value as steam_base_temperatur, and use that in the formula.

New response