Transport Drones

by Klonan

Adds transport drones and transport depots

Content
3 months ago
0.18 - 1.1
Logistics

b Edge case issue when attempting to place depots in the range of a burrowed enemy.

4 years ago

Placing the depot in range of a burrowed enemy fails, but the caution tile and some invisible 3x3 entity where the depot should have gone are still placed. Attempting to mine either causes an error, in this case I tried mining the 3x3 entity.

Steps to reproduce:

In sandbox mode, place a depot in range of a burrowed worm, then mine one of the pieces that appears.

The mod Transport Drones (0.5.12) caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event Transport_Drones::on_player_mined_entity (ID 65)
LuaEntity API call when LuaEntity was invalid.
stack traceback:
Transport_Drones/script/depots/supply_depot.lua:124: in function 'on_removed'
Transport_Drones/script/depot_common.lua:198: in function 'handler'
core/lualib/event_handler.lua:47: in function <core/lualib/event_handler.lua:45>
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'newindex'
__Transport_Drones
/script/depots/supply_depot.lua:124: in function 'on_removed'
Transport_Drones/script/depot_common.lua:198: in function 'handler'
core/lualib/event_handler.lua:47: in function <core/lualib/event_handler.lua:45>

4 years ago

Hi, are you using some AAI mod which prevents the placement?

4 years ago

Evidently yes, I did not know that it was a mod behavior.

4 years ago

Earandel will fix it

4 years ago

the author of AAI had a strong opinion against turret creep and thus added a function to his mods which is quite unrelated to the other AAI functionalities, to prohibit placing anything near nests/worms. afair, randomly even biters were spawned on tiles where you tried to place something. thus many people were surprised by this effect, and since it is not related to AAI functionality, it's also a bit difficult to recognize which mod causes this effect. i don't know whether this has changed, but he was strictly against any changes (like making this restriction a mod option or similar).

4 years ago

That's a bizzare opinion for him to hold while simultaneously implementing turrets on wheels that you can suicide into a biter nest.

3 years ago

see https://mods.factorio.com/mod/aai-programmable-vehicles/discussion/5ba572c95596c7000ae31980

//rantmode ON//

Earendel - 1 year, 7 months ago
The problem you're having is because of other mods you've installed. If you're made enemies too powerful relative to your offensive options then either make the enemies closer to vanilla difficulty or add more mods that give you more powerful weapons and/or vehicles. The construction limits are there for good reason and won't be removed.

ah, we are supposed to install other overpowered mods (eg ion cannons) or use his own overpowered vehicles, or other vanilla options like artillery because he doesn't like vanilla turret creep ? and it also is not important that this method he forces on us also breaks several scenarios and other parts of the vanilla game (depending on people's playstyles) ?

from Hafnium:

That's a bizzare opinion for him to hold ...

currently ALL discussions for AAI are disabled with the hint "Please report bugs and suggestions on Discord".
as much as i liked AAI, it gave more problems than it was worth in the end. the last part of AAI that i used were the AAI miners (driven manually) but with mining drones, i now also don't use that last AAI mod any longer.

let's hope that he will not add similar restrictions (trying to fight against people who "cheat and exploit" by doing turret creep, although the devs said multiple times that they might want to discourage it, but that it is a valid legal strategy and no exploit) to one of his other mods like alien biomes, text plates, or space exploration.
btw: isn't his own mod "jetpack" itself an overpowered exploit to fly over everything ???

//rantmode OFF//
back to more enjoyable topics: i still like the set of drone mods, and my only problem is to decide whether i like the graphics for the drones better in the original mod, or when patched to look like logicarts, and similarly whether to use "I, Robot" to change the look of the mining drones :-)

New response