Rivens Realistic Train Acceleration (based on cargo)

This mod makes train acceleration more realistic and depend on the amount of Cargo. (youtube demo included)

Tweaks
4 months ago
Trains

i [solved] Relative weight values

1 year, 24 days ago

Hey there!
Love your mod and how it makes trains behave more naturally and saves my immersion from breaking :P

I'm currently trying it out with the Freight Forward modpack which includes some mechanics around trains and ships having /10 storage (Klonan's mini trains are added with only 2 stacks per wagon and regular trains are pushed further down with 4 slots, and cargo ships with 100 slots), with the intention to encourage stuffing materials into containers (deadlock crating) rather than direct loading.

I noticed your mod makes loco and wagon weights to 10x which I find great, but the mod setting for per stack weight (kg) is set to 250 by default. I was trying to to increase it to 2500 but the setting doesn't allow values more than 1000.

So here's the suggestion: Instead of having absolute stack weights, would be great if you can set per-stack weight = (base wagon weight / no. of slots) for all registered wagon prototypes, in a more relative fashion - at least at default and set that into mod settings for people to tweak. This would still output 250 for (10000/40) or (5000/20) in normal game scenarios and scale with modded trains and ships. You can also allow bigger values for per-stack weight for the masochists out there :)

What do you think?

1 year, 20 days ago

Hey raw1claw, I installed the mod and found a, dare I say, better way... :-)

I find the item in the cargo-wagon stack, and IF it is an item of the "Intermodal Container" mod (which "Freight Forward" uses), I lookup the recipe to create the item, like: "2000 iron-ore + 1 container", then take the original item (iron ore). Using the stack-size for iron ore I calculate how many stacks those 2000 items would fill. The stack count is multiplied by the mod-setting (250kg).

This way you can have a train with both "iron-ore" and "ic-container-iron-ore" in the same wagon, and it will all be calculated properly, using the mods recipes.

1 year, 20 days ago
(updated 1 year, 19 days ago)

Using the "Intermodal Container" mod, I filled a vanilla train with 4 cargo wagons (LCCCC), each with 5 stacks of 2000x iron ore (40000 iron ore) and it had quite a rough time getting around using solid fuel... which seems reasonably balanced.

In v0.1.18 I tweaked it a bit, and reduced the virtual stack-count by halve, to compensate for the "Freight Forward" mod halving the stack-size for quite a few bulk-items.

1 year, 19 days ago

Aha! So you built proper integration for FF and IC. Thanks!

Will test soon and let you know if anything feels inconsistent. Cheers!

New response