Rivens Realistic Train Acceleration (based on cargo)

This mod makes train acceleration more realistic and depend on the amount of Cargo. (youtube demo included)

Tweaks
4 months ago
Trains

i [solved] Braking force

2 years ago

Looking at the demo, it looks like braking is not effected by this mod. Do you have plans to also decrease the braking power based on the amount of cargo? This mod look very interesting to me but I would like the behaviour of brakes to also be effected.

2 years ago

Reducing acceleration (based on cargo) is quite easy, conceptually: you just either reduce the speed, or throttle the fuel availability.

Reducing deceleration (based on cargo) is harder, because if you increase the speed while braking, the factorio engine will brake harder, as to prevent you overshooting a rail-signal, or a station.

I think I can manipulate the global braking speed during startup, but it cannot be based on cargo, AFAICS.

Hope this helps :)

2 years ago

That makes sense. Thanks for the answer!

2 years ago

Braking force has been reduced significantly, so the trains nicely slow down now. Naturally, they also keep more distance to other trains.

2 years ago

Lovely mod thanks. :-)

2 years ago

I analyzed the game's mechanics, and found a better way to tweak the breaking-distance: making the locomotives/carriages 10x as heavy. This made their acceleration too slow, so I multiplied that by ten too. Now both the acceleration and deceleration feel even more natural.

New response