TinyStart

by Yehn

A minimalist starter kit with a tier 0 power armor, a mini low-output reactor, and the accoutrements you need for robot construction. As simple as 'Install and Play', but includes optional loadout customization for those looking to tailor their experience - such as using solar power instead.

Utilities
1 year, 9 months ago
0.14 - 1.1

b [Fixed] factorio V1 bug: starting items missing

3 years ago

Doesn't spawn the armor for the player when the new starting cutscene plays.

3 years ago

This seems to be an issue with other starter kit mods as well.

3 years ago

probably the cutscene messes it up.

3 years ago

I'm guessing it's related to this bug - https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=87938

3 years ago

Once the issue is resolved, will the mod magically add the items in, or will the game need to be restarted to add the items in to inventory?

3 years ago

you can probably use the mod settings to insert the armor

3 years ago

Right, mod settings did not help, but disabling the mod, saving the game, then re-enabling the mod, and loading the game added all the correct items in inventory.

(Taking advantage of the "add items to player" on load logic when module is added )

Appreciate the quick response, and hint

Hope my note above may help others ;-)

3 years ago

I created a mod called "No Freeplay Cutscene" that will make TinyStart or anything else like it work, until it can be updated to work on its own.

3 years ago

Already added it to my list of mods morsk.
Thanks for it.

Might also be useful for those who want to just skip the cutscene, but not disable the crash site in fresh play troughs.

3 years ago

So the intro cutscene does break the mod, which sucks because I started a new world and have 10 hours in it :( I tried doing what rolfl said, but it still seems broken.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Right, mod settings did not help, but disabling the mod, saving the game, then re-enabling the mod, and loading the game added all the correct items in inventory.

(Taking advantage of the "add items to player" on load logic when module is added )

Appreciate the quick response, and hint

Hope my note above may help others ;-)

Thanks! Helped me!

3 years ago

Looking through the code, I discovered a way to fix.
At the moment of writing this, the player is given the armor during on_init ... during this time, the player has no character, so it fails during a new game.
I fixed it by moving the business into on_cutscene_waypoint_reached and on_cutscene_cancelled (because they are parallel, but different paths).
I tried on_player_created, but this also didn't work as expected. I also didn't test this with an existing save game, however I did add logic for on_player_created since the cutscene wouldn't exist when loading a game.
(I did this while creating a mod which is a collection of mods gathered and modified for personal taste).

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

The most generic way to give items would be this:

(sigh, the formatting is a mess. This is the best I can do.)

item-giving function:

if player is in a cutscene

put player's id in a table

else

give the items

on_player_created: call item-giving function

on_cutscene_canceled:

if player's id is in the table

remove id from table
call item-giving function

3 years ago

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay on this. TinyStart has been updated and will work with the cutscene now.

New response