Texugo TA Miners

Big Miners inspired on Total Annihilation metal extractors models, adds 3 tiers of massive miners that can mine entire ore spawns. Last update: 0.18.1 - Small Fixes/changes.

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 0.18
Manufacturing

g Cool

5 years ago

Once long ago there was a Command and Conquer inspired mod that allowed you to build ore-trucks from Red Alert to mine and transport ore to the local ore refinery which served as the truck's off-loading point. That mod was cool. This mod is cool for the same reason: Nostalgia.

The added functionality and the aesthetics are a wonderful addition to my end-game map. The only thing I can gripe about is that there aren't more TA inspired elements and structures (end-end-game fusion generators from TA: Escalation would be wonderful) in my base.

If you're capable, or time/patience willing, TA Generators would be a fine addition to the mod portal as well.

5 years ago

The problem of Fusion Reactors in TA is that they generate FREE energy, to be a minimum balanced, the cost should be insanely high.
About the model, maybe the CORE experimental fusion reactor (from TA Escalation) would be a good base of inspiration.
https://www.tauniverse.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20652&stc=1&d=1192864104

5 years ago

But one thing i wanting to do, is the ARM Annihilator.
http://totalannihilation.wikia.com/wiki/Annihilator

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Yes, that's the problem with the reactors; the counter-balance in TA is that these things explode violently. The explosion part is far harder to implement in Factorio due to the fact that defense lines, when that level of technology is reached, are far too stable.
However, insanely expensive or not, I'd be a nice addition.

And in speaking about defensive lines, the ARM Annihilator would be cool as well. A powerful weapon system that uses energy instead of rounds, much like lasers, to take out high health targets at a range, before these said bitters have a chance to take chunks out of the base.

All good paths to take, and I agree with the CORE designs as well; ARM's large reactor con-towers are a bit bland. However, but there is still one problem: balancing. The structure itself might have huge mineral costs or require something costly to feed it and/or turn it on. Maybe take a bit inspiration from the silo, but instead of launching a rocket, you're building up catalyst and building the internals, etc. for your free energy reactor.

However, for another idea on the table, the Vanilla Berthas are underwhelming. They have too small of Areas of Effect, have a small auto-firing range, and require ammunition. With this big-free-energy-reactor, you need a place to put your electricity, and in that case, a Big(er) Bertha. Of course, it's core counterparts, the rapid-fire versions, (Vulcan and Buzzsaw) and the TA: Escalation upgrades to the base design are all applicable as well.

However, this is just another idea, pursue all of these constructs at your own leisure.
(Final Note: Those CORE Fusion Gens are far too close together for my comfort...)

5 years ago

Vanilla Bertha .... hhahahaha, you mean, Vanilla Artillery. But i agree that their shots are slow and have a small area of damage. The problem with this is the animation, the vanilla artillery have a script of work that scares the shit out of me. I think maybe i can do something using the normal turrets way of work, it will lose the Remote Target and only spawn target, but in my view is a good thing, and to balance the stupid high range, it will consume a lot of energy each shot and have a low accuracy, just like in TA.

(Final note: in TA Escalation, building Fusion gens next to each other gives a buff of 50% energy production in both fusion). The last update of TA Escalation was in January, played yesterday to see how is working, and i tell you, its more fun than most other games out there, TA modding community somehow lives and are very good.

5 years ago

Ah, I forgot about the +50% efficiency upgrade. I vaguely remember abusing it when I last played Escalation.
And you got the "more fun than most games" part completely right. At some points, it's more eventful than Factorio. I'd far rather build things using two bars that I have to balance than a few lines of materials that need to be put into their proper machines, mined, sorted, transported, etc.
However, you lose the satisfaction of automating blue/purple/yellow science in TA, because there is no need for such things. Just build your T2/T3 builder units and made a reactor & maybe some metal makers and engage the enemy.
TA's modding community is probably born out of an insane passion for an old game. That how their work comes out so well because they've stuck with the game from its inception.
Final Note: I wish you luck in the bertha programming department if and/or when you go down that root.

5 years ago

Huh. Never heared of TA: Escalation. From the picture son the website it looks like the original engine? Does that still have working multiplayer? I originally got into factorio modding wanting to make some of the TA weapons (my love goes to the Annihilator for the animation, though those small T1(?) medium-range plasma battery things were nice too.), but got sidetracked while learning, and then realized that factorio isn't about the battled for me. So i pretty much gave up on that. Fusion reactor is still in my log though. But mimicing the TA style with my measy blender skills is...difficult. Are the modded models freely licensed?

I only know the adjacency bonus from SupCom, but then again TA modding backported the Monkeylord too, so wouldn't suprise me if it came from there.

Also i'm not sure if making "normal" turrents with artillery range is feasible. If the engine even allows it they'd be very likely to kill performance. Also if you need help with the artillery you should ask on the forums, there's lots of experienced people around. I don't have much personal experience with projectiles though, but copying one and increasing the aoe should be easy enough (technically, not graphically ;).

I haven't heared from the Krogoth i sent over to your system yet. Hopefully it exploded next to your wimpy ARM commander ;p.

5 years ago

TA Escalation uses the same original engine and works fine in multiplayer.
Factorio is a peaceful game, thats why i install mods, to make things more difficult.
Dont know about TA models licenses, but they use very old tipe of files,i tried to use the software to at least export the models to solidworks, but i failed miserably. Its faster and better doing from scratch.
About the Artillery Turret, i dont think so, maybe the sprites can be heavy for the memory for some, cant see other way to impact performance on a simple longe range turret.
And your Krogoth, its part of my base now, i paralyzed it as soon as he landed using some spiders and reclaimed with some construction kbots, thanks for the Free Metal.

5 years ago

Well. Try it yourself.
data.raw['ammo-turret']['gun-turret'].attack_parameters.range = 1e6
Find a spawner. Place a single turrent. Watch your UPS go to hell.
Trying a little less extreme cough 1000 which still works ok. But i only tried one turret. The main problem is that they need to activate all chunks in their range. Which can cause quite a lot of chunk loading.

I'm happy to see that the Krogoth devestated your planet so much that you're going into denial.

5 years ago

Well, i tried :D
i have a mod that i not uploaded, just to try and test stupid things. So it happens that i have 3 tower turrets that i can mess with.
i tried first with 3.500 range, and for my happiness, not a single UPS drop !! the range covered all my map.
Go big or go home i thought, 35.000 range !!! again, not a single UPS drop. My map is now RED even the max zoom out.
i think you WAS correct, but not anymore. Factorio has improved a lot in performance and i guess that the problem of all chunks in range to be active was needed to be solve when they implanted the artillery system.

New response