Adds Teleporters

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

i Cost to use

5 years ago

Great mod so far!

Is there any chance of implementing a cost to use these teleporters? Such as energy usage that increases proportionally to distance?

Thanks!

5 years ago

It is not that easy, and would need some on_tick checking etc., which would make the current solution less cleanly.

I will think about it for the future

5 years ago

What about a charge system? Teleportation requires an amount of charge based on distance (or just a full charge) when you make the selection. Upon activating the teleportation, it uses that charge, and must charge up again? Maybe even take half or all charge amount from both sides of teleportation. This will add a cost to use, as well as preventing someone from just teleporting all over the map (this wouldn't stop someone from making an in/out set of teleporters at each destination, but that's fine).

This could also apply a max distance a single connection can teleport because of internal charge capacity.

5 years ago

That sounds greate @Sempiternity
I also had the same idea look at here:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Teleportation/discussion/5b9621870d1fa300097b673a

I agree that the Teleporter should have some costs in the future that would be feel good. I mean you also could put a setting for no costs :)

I do not know if it is a bit to much but i just wanted to speak it out i mean that is anyways future plans.
Just because we talk about energy costs, you could also make call for a very high price to send vehicles (i'm not talking about Trains! :P).

Anyway, thank you for reading!

5 years ago

How about an item you need to craft? but like a weapon and when you teleport the weapon durability = 0 POOF cost done ? or the bullets i]is the cost (the key to the teleport is the durability of the keychain)

5 years ago

@lamp181
Tbh, i think for a 'fast' coding wise it would be a temporary solution.

But the for the long term i guess more costs for higher distance and cooldowns (for high distance what means multiple distance also multiple cooldowns. What i mean by that is for each Teleporter gets a cooldown that has been used for the high distance) would make sense? Or at least it feels fair and satisfying!

I mean if it doesn't work in that complex way what me and @Sempiternity said (which is similar to me) you just could do more Tiers with different range. As I mentioned before and mention again an optional setting for no cost probably no big problem to also code it in.

At least that's what I think about it.

5 years ago

The teleporter that way with diferent tiers as you said... would make me for example... put 1 step closer so i would use 2 tier 1 instead of tier 2 .. see what i mean?
I don't wanna say that my idea is better than yours or so... but from a dumb idea can come a great idea...
Remmeber, ammo can go to 200 value... meaning you could use 200 as a percentage/meters... maybe?
And each time you walk maybe 20 steps, you recharge the 1 ammo? I don't know... just saying

5 years ago

@lamp181
Hmm, i'm not exactly sure if i'am understand it right but that's what came in my mind.
So for example you have an item right, that have like an percentage what you said and you require to equipped it that you let excess to use the teleport as a cost-resource. If that item gets discharged you need to build a new one or you could also put it in your Armor to recharge it (like that way that you walk 20 step to gain one percentage back).

So in a really short ways, you could use an already existing item the battery would make good sense so if you have enough batteries it will show all the Teleporters that you have excess to based on your energy that you have.
That's sound also good to me. And you also could still make more tiers of it (which is like copy pasta) so tier 2 would charge you less then tier 1 one.

Is it that kinda that what you mean ?

And don't worry about that i thinking mine is better or anything like that. I'm just pointing the idea what you can planned now, what also gives the author the idea what he wants to go with or what he was planned to. So you get also the idea what is possible to program. That means if you have a whole plan what you wanna programming you don't have to rewrite or get rid of something. So it is good that we are talking about it :)

5 years ago

Sure thing! ^_^
I liked the idea of battery... seems way easier to script it i think... and battery can be recharged with the Modular Armour =p pretty nice idea!

New response